General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 07-Jun-11 15:22:33
Print Post

broadband speed

[link to this post]

Hi
Ive just upgraded my broadband so that i should now be able to get around 5mb speed! I have done a few speed checks on the web and they are all saying my download speed should be roughly 5000kbps but yet when i download anything i only get a maximum of 600kbps surely this cannot be right! Can anyone tell me if something is wrong and whether i need to contact my isp and get it sorted!
Thanks
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Jun-11 15:38:42
Print Post

Re: broadband speed

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Post your router stats!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Jun-11 16:25:37
Print Post

Download speed in the estimators and speed tests is shown in kilo bits per second, is it possible that the 600kbps is actually Kilo Bytes per second.

Windows reports download progressin Kilo Bytes per second, and 8 bits in a Byte, so 600 * 8 is very close to the 5000Kbps figure.

In short the case of the letter B or b is very important.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 07-Jun-11 16:56:21
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

thanks for replying these i my router stats or at least that what i think you mean!
System Uptime 261:58:11
Modem DSL(Sync) uptime 84:03:49
ADSL Mode ADSL2
Interleaving On
Up Down
DSL Line Speed 801 kbps 5727 kbps
Line Attenuation 29.5 dB 52.0 dB
SN Margin 5.5 dB 6.8 dB
Total Errors Seconds 0

oh i see what your saying the download is going in KB/s am i right in thinking that 5000kbps is 5mbps?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Jun-11 17:15:02
Print Post

5000Kbps is 5Mbps

1000K in 1M

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 07-Jun-11 18:53:07
Print Post

Your router stats are good and you are getting 5.7 Mbps Sync Speed as you expected/were told. You might get bit more if you change ADSL Mode to ADSL2+ (plus).

Re: the slow (?) throughput speeds, you sure you are not mixing up bits (b) and Bytes (B) as previously suggested?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 07-Jun-11 20:06:26
Print Post

Re: broadband speed *DELETED*

Post deleted by RobertoS
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 07-Jun-11 20:45:52
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

thats the thing i thought that i might be getting confused but having been on someone elses computer recently and downloaded a file where it said 1.3mbps so im guessing that if i was getting 5mbps it would say that. Also working out how long it would take to download certain files if i was getting that speed and what im currently getting is definitely a lot slower. for instance a 440mb file is taking 13 mins to download im sure it should be quicker
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 07-Jun-11 20:56:55
Print Post

I'm not trying to be awkward, but this post of yours shows you are still confused.

440mb = 440 milli-bits - 440 thousandths of a bit. There isn't such a thing as a thousandth of a bit. (Until you are married).
440Mb = 440 Mega-bits.
440MB = 440 Mega-Bytes = 3720 Mega-bits.
1 Byte = 8 bits.

Unless you start using the right capitals we will have to keep asking if you meant this or that. We will get nowhere.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 07-Jun-11 21:12:07
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Oh right sorry i hadn't realised that the file im trying to download is 440MB the speed it is downloading at is 530KB/sec (through ie explorer) and at that speed it is taking 14mins.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to