General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User WuZiMu
(newbie) Wed 22-Jun-11 10:44:08
Print Post

Virgin Media trying to charge for terminating contract early

[link to this post]

Hi,

I recently moved home and asked Virgin Media to transfer my services only to be told they couldn't as there was "60m of cable missing leading up to your new home".

I therefore had no choice but to just disconnect my services. I have now received a final bill which includes a "Contract termination charge" of £122.50.

Of course I told them what to do with that charge but do I actually have a chance of getting out of it? It hardly seems fair that they charge me for a move that wasn't my choice (my landlord sold my flat) and I was willing to stay with them.
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 22-Jun-11 10:56:15
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media trying to charge for terminating contract e

[re: WuZiMu] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by WuZiMu:
Of course I told them what to do with that charge but do I actually have a chance of getting out of it? It hardly seems fair that they charge me for a move that wasn't my choice (my landlord sold my flat) and I was willing to stay with them.

That really depends on what you agreed when you took services from them. Have a look at those terms.

Some providers will waive any remaining contract when they can't supply a service, but others may enforce it on the basis that the service could be provided, but you are moving which isn't their fault either.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Wed 22-Jun-11 11:02:17
Print Post

i think you might find that you are liable for the charges....but if you call them from 9am-5pm

0800 052 2525

that number is there sales number but there should be an option in there that can divert you to faults and also billing..you should get someone in one of the uk call centers if you call within office hrs......

i'm sure they will be able to help you on this matter..

good luck..wink

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User WuZiMu
(newbie) Wed 22-Jun-11 11:51:30
Print Post

[re: djfunkdup] [link to this post]

Hmmm. Ok thanks for the replies.

Well I'm not paying it contract or not. It may not be their fault but it's not mine either, I wanted to take my services with me.
Standard User FRS_Plunderer
(experienced) Wed 22-Jun-11 12:07:04
Print Post

To be fair it is actually your fault. Virgin didn't force you into a contract, they didn't force you to move and they didn't choose your new home for you - 100% your decision. You could have looked closer at where you were moving to and ensured that there was a Virgin cable feed.

They do however have logistical costs to recover from providing you with service - why should they make a loss due to your decisions?

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 22-Jun-11 16:38:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by WuZiMu:
It may not be their fault but it's not mine either,
No, but it's your responsibility. Your landlord is not party to your contract with VM.

However I hope they are not overcharging you for cancellation; £122.50 seems a lot. Ofcom reduced these cancellation fees in June 2010 ; Check: Cheaper charges for UK consumers to end phone contracts for your package.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User WuZiMu
(newbie) Wed 29-Jun-11 13:47:35
Print Post

[re: FRS_Plunderer] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by FRS_Plunderer:
To be fair it is actually your fault. Virgin didn't force you into a contract, they didn't force you to move and they didn't choose your new home for you - 100% your decision. You could have looked closer at where you were moving to and ensured that there was a Virgin cable feed.

They do however have logistical costs to recover from providing you with service - why should they make a loss due to your decisions?

Actually the move wasn't my decision. Virgin may not have forced me to move but my landlord did by deciding to sell the flat. I did check the new address on their own website and at the time the database said my address COULD receive cable services. Only to get a phone call off Virgin after I arranged the transfer to be told there was 60 metres of cable missing.

It matters not now as after arguing with them for a week they have waived the fee smile

Edited by WuZiMu (Wed 29-Jun-11 13:48:58)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 29-Jun-11 14:25:01
Print Post

As it's all sorted, I didn't realise it was that easy to sell a flat with a sitting tenant ...? I thought that all got stopped long ago. Though perhaps it depends how long you had been there.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User WuZiMu
(newbie) Wed 29-Jun-11 14:48:35
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I was there ten years and it depends if it's a private landlord or a "social" landlord such as a council or a housing association.

Mine is a housing association so they had to offer me alternative accommodation, pay all my moving, flooring & decorating expenses and pay a home loss payment too.

It's much easier for private landlords I think as they can just wait till the tenancy term is ending and then sell.

Off-topic, I know!!
  Print Thread

Jump to