General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User JHo1
(newbie) Mon 27-Jun-11 13:20:50
Print Post

How does the broadband speed map work?

[link to this post]

(I'm sorry if this is explained on a sticky).

What I mean is... I did a speed test and was asked for my post code. Fair enough, I can see how that result gets included in the map. But then I signed up. I wasn't asked my post code when I signed up and now when I do a speed test I'm not asked my post code, so how do my subsequent speed tests get included in the map?

John
Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 27-Jun-11 13:27:12
Print Post

Re: How does the broadband speed map work?

[re: JHo1] [link to this post]

Perhaps your IP address was recorded against your sign-up?
Standard User john2007
(legend) Mon 27-Jun-11 13:30:07
Print Post

Complain to the site if you feel your privacy has been invaded. I've no idea if my suggested possibility is true.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 27-Jun-11 13:34:41
Print Post

You really need to ask this in TTTS to get an answer from seb/john/row, but login information is stored in a cookie on your computer.

It could have picked it up from there from the previous test, but it's just a guess.

When you say "But then I signed up", I assume you mean to the main site? It's a separate sign-up from the forums.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 27-Jun-11 13:43:47
Print Post

You were asked for your postcode when you "Created New Connection" so as to record your speed tests after you signed up for the main site.

You may also be confused by the fact that are 2 different sign ups; 1 for the main site speedtests and 1 for these forums.

This should have been raised under Talk to the Staff (TTTS).

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User JHo1
(newbie) Mon 27-Jun-11 15:11:48
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks all, I'll raise it under ttts. I don't feel my privacy has been invaded, I'm quite happy to help build up the bb map.

John
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 27-Jun-11 15:24:45
Print Post

In reply to a post by JHo1:
Thanks all, I'll raise it under ttts. I don't feel my privacy has been invaded, I'm quite happy to help build up the bb map.

John
Click here... this thread closed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to