General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 28-Jun-11 15:35:09
Print Post

international standards for broadband ISPs

[link to this post]

Hello,

I was wondering there is any way for one to find out the international standards required for broadband internet service providers. Any information would be great but I am specifically looking for ping.

I am having problems with ping and overall connection stability with my broadband ISP, and it has gone so far that I believe they could even be held legally responsible for failing to meet the minimum required standards within the industry.

Now, they do have a very nice workaround in their contracts themselves, which only state they are obliged to provide the best service they are capable of, without mentioning any numbers at all. But they are still required to live up to the standards required for all ISPs around the world regardless of contracts.

I know that most people would just tell me to get another ISP but here's the problem, my country only has one cable broadband company... Yes, that's right, only one...

So if there's anyone who can provide some information on the subject or point me in the right direction, I would be forever grateful!

Ty in advance,
Alex
Standard User TLM
(legend) Tue 28-Jun-11 16:54:58
Print Post

Re: international standards for broadband ISPs

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I'd say a contractual requirement to provide "the best they are capable of" imposes a very high standard indeed, as it would, by definition, be impossible for them to do better!

Most savvy contract writers wouldn't have such a phrase in a contract, in the same way they won't have a phrase like: "every effort to fix", in relation to faults, because that would mean they could never give up on grounds of the effort or expense being too great, as they've promised every effort.

I very much doubt there is such a minimum international standard you are looking for, but even if there was, would it have force of law in your country, and if so, how would taking the provider to court force them to meet it, if they just can't?

If you could prove that other customers in your country are getting better (from the same company) and therefore that they're NOT providing the best they're capable of, in your case (but are to everybody else), perhaps you might have some kind of case?

But I really can't see how you can succeed if you are getting the generally available standard, in your country.

The fact some users, in some countries, fare much better doesn't mean there's been a breach of your human rights or something.
Standard User Ignitionnet
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jun-11 17:12:21
Print Post

There are no international standards for quality of service.

You may have a case if their service isn't fit for purpose, however even then it can take a while to get a resolution.

The best way to go about this if it can't get fixed quickly is to just go elsewhere.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jun-11 17:18:16
Print Post

Even if there were International Standards for min. performance, which is what you are asking, they would had no legal significance, unless your country enshrined them in their laws. The only International Standards would be in respect of the technology and protocols employed, e.g. ADSL2+.

Post your router stats and ping tests so we can see if they are reasonable or not.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User grejvizard
(newbie) Tue 28-Jun-11 18:38:03
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Well, my biggest problem is not the fact that the ping is bad, it's the fact that is fluctuates greatly, from 11ms all the way to 400-500.

[IMG]http://www.pingtest.net/result/42725791.png[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.pingtest.net/result/42724828.png[/IMG]

above you can see an example of this although there have been much larger differences.

My router is not an issue here as the problem persists with the cable modem pluged directly into the computer.

I figured as much that there aren't any international standards, at least not with specific figures involved. Never meant to take the company to court anyway, maybe just use the information to intimidate them a little bit. They do hold a monopoly over cable broadband pretty much do as they please so it would do them good if someone managed to twist their arm a bit.

And i have to say wow you guys are fast!
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 28-Jun-11 19:15:11
Print Post

I know that most people would just tell me to get another ISP but here's the problem, my country only has one cable broadband company... Yes, that's right, only one...

Well for your information there is only ONE cable ISP who can be found in various towns and cities in the UK.

Harry
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 28-Jun-11 22:56:25
Print Post

[re: grejvizard] [link to this post]

Don't you think that slow, and particularly variable pings, are more likely to be down to the Internet infrastructure in your country, rather than the ISP? How reliable is your country's Internet?

Do tracerts to your ping test server (e.g. "tracert belgrade.pingtest.net") over time and watch out for where the variations occur.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Moderator billford
(moderator) Tue 28-Jun-11 23:02:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by grejvizard:
And i have to say wow you guys are fast!
I'm half-tempted to put your post up as a sticky for the benefit of the "the grass is greener everywhere else" brigade tongue.

Welcome to thinkbroadband, it's good to get a different viewpoint and if we can help you to get better performance, we will. There's a lot of expertise here. smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bill

bill@thinkbroadband.com _______________Planes and Cars and ..._______________BQM & Speed
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User grejvizard
(newbie) Wed 29-Jun-11 08:39:53
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

Ty for the welcome laugh And all the help, you folks really know yur stuff tongue

I believe I have identified the problem after some tinkering and requesting assistance from some gaming clans from my country (since they are quite well informed and have alot of experience with stuff like this).

It appears the infrastructure is to blame (cudos to XRaySpeX laugh ), and this is a pretty common problem around here. Luckily it should be quite fixable, as the company usually fixes these problems easily. I've been told it will take merely a few minutes of adjustments and they will get the job done.

Here's what i was told to look for:

[IMG]http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/3604/modemhk.jpg[/IMG]

Now, as i understand, the two numbers i circled ought to be pretty much the same or the difference should be very small. As you can see, it's considerable tongue

So I was just wondering if this really is my problem? Seems kinda simple now that i found it tongue

And not to change the topic entirely, if there were international standards for broadband ISPs, what would you want them to be?

Edited by grejvizard (Wed 29-Jun-11 08:41:12)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 29-Jun-11 08:47:38
Print Post

I'm not sure which two numbers you intended to compare, but the two you have circled are not comparable. Even comparing like for like, except one is missing, I wouldn't expect them to be the same.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to