General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 01-Jul-11 12:28:56
Print Post

On & off peak help

[link to this post]

Ok im fessin up I dont really know what on & off peak is with regard to broadband.

What does it actually mean, free unmetered usage during the off peak hours ?

or is it a reduced tarriff during the off peak hours ?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 01-Jul-11 12:32:31
Print Post

Re: On & off peak help

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

It could mean both, without knowing which ISP and package you are referring to, only a generic answer can be given, which is:

Peak usually refers to the busiest time of the day, when millions are online and the shared capacity that providers buy is shared out more sparsely.

Off-peak generally means less people online, doing less, so there is more capacity available per person.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Fri 01-Jul-11 12:35:18
Print Post

Off-peak is generally well outside business hours, say 1 a.m to 5 a.m., but that depends on the ISP. Unlimited unmetered simply means anything you download/upload during that time does not count as towards your monthly allowance (unmetred) and you can download/upload as many GB as you want (unlimited).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User macp
(newbie) Fri 01-Jul-11 13:03:10
Print Post

Sorry all I am with Xilo and very happy with them so far.No response on the Xilo forum hence asking the qustion here.

They quote the following:

On the Home Package, Peak hours are:
Monday-Friday 8am to 12am (midnight)

All other times (including all day weekends) are off-peak.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Jul-11 13:46:10
Print Post

[re: macp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by macp:
Sorry all I am with Xilo and very happy with them so far.No response on the Xilo forum hence asking the qustion here.

That all seems pretty clear to me then. You can download as much as you want between the hours of midnight and 8am during the week and at any time Saturday/Sunday. The rest of the time limits and/or penalties apply.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User macp
(newbie) Fri 01-Jul-11 14:01:44
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:

That all seems pretty clear to me then. You can download as much as you want between the hours of midnight and 8am during the week and at any time Saturday/Sunday. The rest of the time limits and/or penalties apply.

Thanks Andrew
I am without doubt being a bit dim but I just wasnt sure if that was what that meant.If that is correct I am happier still and I doubt very much I will go over the 25GB monthly cap.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 01-Jul-11 14:14:59
Print Post

[re: macp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Andrue:

Thanks Andrew
I am without doubt being a bit dim but I just wasnt sure if that was what that meant.If that is correct I am happier still and I doubt very much I will go over the 25GB monthly cap.
Not your fault - ISPs are notorious for being vague about their limits. They aren't always clear about the consequences of exceeding the limits either. It's a pity Xilo didn't get back to your more quickly but hopefully I'm interpreting it correctly.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 03-Jul-11 18:49:42
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

I did put a reply on our forum, but there is a stickied thread at the top noting the hours and limits so I can only think the OP missed them.

I did also reply to the same question on one or two other forums as well, so this would be the third smile

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
  Print Thread

Jump to