General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dilus
(member) Sun 03-Jul-11 17:55:09
Print Post

Car alarm interference

[link to this post]

My next door neighbour's son has just purchased a new car and it is fitted with some all singing, all dancing alarm system. Problem is it keeps knocking me off my wireless connection frown Just read that car alarms run on 2.4 GHz band and so do most Wifi connections, this can interfere with Wifi running on channel 11, just happens that I was using channel 11 out of choice due to no nearby neighbours using that channel. I have manually changed to another channel and am hoping that my connection is more reliable whenever his car is in the vicinity.
This has been a complete pain over the last 4 or 5 days and I was struggling to understand why I was losing connection regularly. Think I have finally found the reason and thought I would highlight it to everyone on the forum in case you are suffering similar problems.

BT Broadband

a dog is for life, so DON'T marry one!
Standard User Stevenage_Neil
(member) Sun 03-Jul-11 18:01:42
Print Post

Re: Car alarm interference

[re: dilus] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dilus:
Problem is it keeps knocking me off my wireless connection frown Just read that car alarms run on 2.4 GHz band and so do most Wifi connections....

Where did you read that? Why would a car alarm be transmitting anything? I think you are mistaken.
Standard User dilus
(member) Sun 03-Jul-11 18:05:04
Print Post

[re: Stevenage_Neil] [link to this post]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_interfe...

Car alarm

Certain car manufacturers use the 2.4 GHz frequency for their car alarm internal movement sensors. These devices broadcast on 2.45 GHz (between channels 8 and 9) at a strength of 500 mW. Because of channel overlap, this will cause problems for channels 6 and 11 which are commonly used default channels for Wi-Fi connections. Because the signal is transmitted as a continuous tone, it causes particular problems for Wi-Fi traffic. This can be clearly seen with spectrum analysers. These devices, due to their short range and high power, are typically not susceptible to interference from other devices on the 2.4 GHz band.
[edit]

BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User dilus
(member) Sun 03-Jul-11 18:17:45
Print Post

I may be wrong, or the article may be wrong but it is a very big coincidence that I have only had problems with my wireless connection since my neighbours son has had his new car! I'm not trying to blame him for it but my connection has been rock solid for 3 years up to the time he got this car. He just went out in it about an hour ago and my connection died as it has on numerous occasions over the last week (the length of time he has owned the car) Will be interesting to see what happens when he comes home later !!

BT Broadband

Standard User dilus
(member) Sun 07-Aug-11 09:42:44
Print Post

Well I have convinced myself that this car alarm has been the problem. Right through this month my wireless connection has been dropping out and it has always been when the car is parked nearby. Two days ago the car was parked directly outside our front doors about 6 feet from my BT Home Hub, my connection dropped and I was unable to re connect for the rest of the evening, the following morning I moved the Home Hub into the living room and hey presto the connection is again rock solid despite the fact that I have moved it from the main BT box in the kitchen to an extension in the living room.

BT Broadband

Standard User awoodland
(regular) Sun 07-Aug-11 11:33:24
Print Post

I've seen similar things with mobile robots in the car park at work. Took a spectrum analyzer to figure it out too.
  Print Thread

Jump to