General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mittenkrust
(member) Wed 06-Jul-11 19:50:16
Print Post

Does the radiation test where you put a phone in microwave?

[link to this post]

And then ring it? Microwave turned off of course,

I was trying to work out whenever I use my microwave my wifi speed drops to below dial up and came across a few sites mentioning this.

I put my phone in microwave and rang it and it rang normally!
Standard User eckiedoo
(newbie) Wed 06-Jul-11 20:04:16
Print Post

Re: Does the radiation test where you put a phone in microwa

[re: mittenkrust] [link to this post]

Back in the early days of mobile phones, a colleague was with me as we travelled up in a fully-metal clad lift.

His mobile rang and he answered.

Afterwards, I mentioned my surprise that the phone had operated, apparently without any problems.

He told me that he had recently been in a triple-screened room; and that it had operated successfully there, much to the amazement and horror of the local staff.

The two pagers I had would not recive signals in the same lift.

I could see that if the screening of the micro-wave oven was designed to be most effective at the frequency of the magnetron producing the RF, it might not be very effective at mobile phone frequencies, ie the micro-wave screening may be designed concepts such as quarter-wavelength ditches as found on waveguide joints ("plumbing") - but I have not noted anything approaching that on the micro-wave cookers that we have owned.
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Wed 06-Jul-11 20:57:16
Print Post

wifi (b/g) operate in the 'junk' band, as do microwave ovens.
(its junk because so many things absorb it, but then thats how microwaves work)
if you have a clear correlation of wifi failing, then maybe time to replace the microwave.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User G3UZF
(member) Thu 07-Jul-11 12:28:31
Print Post

A Microwave Oven should stop any radiation on the same frequency coming out as well as in.

The only mobile Network that uses similar frequencies to it is '3'. So, if the phone were on any of the other Networks that may explain why they will ring inside it.

Are the door seals clean and undamaged?

As another poster commented, the 2.2GHz band is used for everything these days and is like a Sewer of the Airways. Have you tried a different Wireess channel?

You could try a Ferrite Ring (see Maplin) close to where the mains cable enters the Microwave, but if its leaking that much radiation I would stand well clear of it or preferably junk it.

Don't want the old wedding tackle ending up as Microwaved pasta!

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 07-Jul-11 12:42:52
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

The license-free "industrial, scientific, medical" band is 2.4GHz, which isn't quite the same as 2.2GHz.

Also, at these frequencies, ferrite beads are likely to be ineffective at reducing microwave signals in wires.

Decent GSM/PCN (900MHz/1800MHz) phones are remarkably good at working in places where you might not expect them to work. Until you really need them to work, of course, when the desperation detector kicks in.
Standard User G3UZF
(member) Thu 07-Jul-11 13:08:01
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

'The license-free "industrial, scientific, medical" band is 2.4GHz, which isn't quite the same as 2.2GHz.'

Quite correct, I should take more water with the Gin!

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 07-Jul-11 13:11:40
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

2.2GHz is a red herring ...

Microwave ovens operate at 2.45 GHz (with a fairly wide tolerance) and WiFi operates at 2.40 to 2.48 so there is a very good chance that a microwave will cause interference.

If the interference is detected more than a meter away, I would be worried by the performance of the microwave seals. Try setting the WAP on each channel from 1 to 13 and doing a speed test on each to see where it is worse - if it spreads across more than 3 channels the power level from the microwave could be quite high and definitely time to think about getting it checked or replaced.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User mittenkrust
(member) Thu 07-Jul-11 20:30:22
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

The mobile phone is on 3 and about 20-30 feet from pc(yet the router is in my neighbours flat and on right side of building like my pc is..

Anyway I worked it out somewhat, I always leave kitchen and living room door open and I closed one of them now the connections fine.
  Print Thread

Jump to