General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Jul-11 12:38:33
Print Post

Thunderstorms and routers

[link to this post]

For the most part, I am happy to leave my router on 24/7, though in my early days as an ADSL1 used I often switched off at night with no change to my Profile (This was to prevent another household member fiddling about.)

Now Iíve upgraded to ADSL 2+, Iím cautious, switching off only when thereís thunder/lightning or a strong Met Office prediction of the same. Iíve switched off three times in the last two months and each time Iíve resynched at a slightly higher line rate. My last resych will take me from 15 M to 16 M if I could maintain it but the weather front, the Met, and just looking at the sky suggest Iím going to have to switch off again soon.

Iíd like to preserve my router, other equipment and, of course, that all importants bRAS Profile. I have surge protectors all over the place but Iím not keen on relying on the in the case of an overhead or nearby storm.

The jury appears to be permanently ďoutĒ on switching of routers irrespective of reason. Iíd welcome options re thunder/ lightning storms.

PS The line is stable with no sync loss and downstream SNR circa 4-3 dB.

Thanks!

Edited by ARD (Thu 07-Jul-11 12:51:54)

Standard User G3UZF
(member) Thu 07-Jul-11 12:52:05
Print Post

Re: Thunderstorms and routers

[re: ARD] [link to this post]

You might like to look at http://www.ukstorms.com/ and click on Lightning Data. Gives a real-time picture of storms in the UK.

Never turned anything off in a storm and never had any problems, despite an overhead telephone cable from the pole.

Being is a village, the mains power (11kV overhead) is the first to duck out, but usually comes back a few seconds later.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 07-Jul-11 12:52:44
Print Post

My phone line is all underground to the house so I don't worry about lightning.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 07-Jul-11 13:03:37
Print Post

If the line is hit it will not matter if the modem is switched on or off ... If yiou want to be 99% safe then UNPLUG everything in te house, PCs, TVs phones, cooker, microwave, HiFi systems ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 07-Jul-11 13:22:53
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Indeed.

10-12 years ago we had a thunderstorm with very near lightning. My PC was switched off, it was in the days of dial up internet, but I wasn't using it hadn't been turned on that day. At that house, the incoming line was underground but the telephone extension to the study went round the outside of the house.

The following day I went to switch it on. It wouldn't boot.

To cut a long story short, following an home contents insurance claim, I got an certified electronics engineer at work to check it over and he reported that the on-board modem, the motherboard, had all been destroyed by over-voltage (IIRC). Presumably induced voltage in the outside extension line.

The insurance company paid up.

Tony
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Jul-11 13:36:44
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

My parents had a nearby lightning strike about 18 months ago that fried the router and took out the modem on one of their sky boxes - nothing else blew. But, as someone else says that could only have been avoided if they had actually unplugged, not just turned off.
Standard User ffox
(member) Thu 07-Jul-11 14:22:58
Print Post

Don't forget to unplug the lead from the phone socket. I lost a router and a phone last year. Nothing else in the house was affected so I think the strike was on the phone line rather than the mains.

Plusnet Value Fibre, Netgear WNR 1000, St Ives Cambs
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Jul-11 15:09:53
Print Post

[re: ffox] [link to this post]

I always do that- but thanks for the reminder.
Standard User ARD
(knowledge is power) Thu 07-Jul-11 15:11:50
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Wise words but I'm trying to avoid adding to my neuroses collection. A direct hit and maybe I would not have to worry about bRAS, hardware, and other home contents ever again.

I always unplug computers anyway when I've reaching the end of the working days/evening but TV...? I'm now wondering how Freeview boxes fair in overhead storms...... To play extra safe I think I'll phone for a pizza tonight!

You can be too careful, I suppose, but my broadband is my priority after people...at least most people.

Edited by ARD (Thu 07-Jul-11 15:26:06)

Standard User eckiedoo
(newbie) Thu 07-Jul-11 15:27:34
Print Post

Remember that if you have heard a specific "clap" of thunder, it is already TOO LATE, any damage will already have been done by the causative lightning.

5 seconds per mile from seeing the flash to hearing the clap.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to