General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User hypertony
(committed) Thu 07-Jul-11 13:06:37
Print Post

So how does it work then?

[link to this post]

My local exchange details has been updated, saying that it will be ADSL2+ enabled by late Sept 2011 - hurrah!

I checked with my ISP, who said yes they can confirm the date.

Then they said if I switch to their broadband & phone package, they will be able to offer me ADSL2+

I said that I can't switch to it because my phone package is still on contract with BT and asked just for broadband - they said no, because of how BT's system works.

So, why can't I get it as broadband itself when I can get it if I go with the combined package? Is BT missing out the business?

Is there an ISP out there who can switch me to ADSL2+ instantly without taking out any phone package?

Thanks all,

- Tony Sutton
- Check out my Ford Focus ST170 site | View my Car's Dashcam
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 07-Jul-11 13:19:49
Print Post

Re: So how does it work then?

[re: hypertony] [link to this post]

Basically either your ISP is talking rubbish or didn't understand what you were asking (maybe they thought you were asking for ADSL without a phone line).

Possibly a couple of ISPs will want you to take the whole package (Talk-Talk is one) as they provide ADSL and voice completely unbundled from BT's equipment.

Most ISPs will give you broadband without taking line rental from them (although you do still need a phone line - in your case you pay line rental for this to BT).
Even 'LLU' providers (such as BE, O2, etc.) will allow you to take their unbundled broadband but keep your voice line rental and calls package with your existing provider.
In my case I have ADSL2+ from BE (unbundled) but I have my line rental and calls package provided by Sky.

Ask your ISP again and this time explain it more slowly (imagining you're talking to a five year old is a good tactic when ringing a call centre).

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 07-Jul-11 13:25:05
Print Post

Still Newnet? I didn't know they did phone services.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User hypertony
(committed) Thu 07-Jul-11 13:29:31
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply. They have now since confirmed that it is done by using the Opal LLU network.

So no thanks! I'm going to wait until BT release it...

- Tony Sutton
Standard User hypertony
(committed) Thu 07-Jul-11 13:30:09
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

LOL, that's my old ISP... many years ago - thanks for the reminder, have now removed it.

- Tony Sutton
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 07-Jul-11 18:23:44
Print Post

You haven't said who your ISP is, (maybe xilo), but I believe at least one can do Opal LLU on shared LLU. It isn't Opal anymore anyway. Renamed to TalkTalk Business Wholesale a couple of months or so ago.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to