General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 07-Jul-11 22:52:45
Print Post

New House

[link to this post]

I am moving to a brand new house in a few weeks, that at the moment has no land line conected. The post code is de13 8jd. I want a phone/broadband package that gives me the best broadband speeds. I am not interested in tv. Please can some kind person tell me should I just go with BT or do I have any better options. Thanks for your help. Cheers, Mike
Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Thu 07-Jul-11 23:03:32
Print Post

Re: New House

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

post code: de13 8jd

your exchange is http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EMBARTO

you don't seam to have many options @ your exchange..talk talk llu is available..there are other users on the tbb forums that might be in a better position to give you more advice..

good luck..wink

-----------------------------------------------------------
http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/102944132.png
http://www.pingtest.net/result/42362575.png
My
Broadband Ping

Virgin Media 100
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 08-Jul-11 00:02:09
Print Post

As djfunkdup says, your best bet for best speed will probably be based on a TalkTalk connection of some sort.

TalkTalk itself may or may not suit you due to it's P2P restrictions, but it will be the cheapest fast broadband, assuming it does offer ADSL2+ there. Most places it does, just occasionally it is 8Mbps.

More expensive, but with more personal support, you can look at resellers of TalkTalk Wholesale - vivaciti and xilo/uno. Their products are different, so I suggest you contact both. Without a phone number that would be easier than their web sites.

Vivaciti can certainly (at additional cost) get the P2P throttling removed. I don't know the detail of xilo/uno's version.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spacemanc
(learned) Fri 08-Jul-11 01:06:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Talk Talk will probably be your best option if you're a heavy internet user. Its the only mainstream fast BB providor at your exchange. All the others use BT's 8mb network there. If you dont use the internet much, then O2 or Orange will probably be cheapest, especially if you use either of them as your mobile operator. These are what the new line connection charges are:

Talk Talk - £80
O2 - £85
Orange - £60
BT - £130 (but they often waive or reduce the fee for joining their service.

Before you sign up, check quidco.com for any cashback deals. Orange are currently giving £150 cashback for new phone and BB signups. O2 give £100. The others less, but the offers vary week to week.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 08-Jul-11 07:16:20
Print Post

[re: Spacemanc] [link to this post]

Thanks for those wise words. I have never heard of vivaciti or xilo/uno so will look into them. I used to be with Talk Talk about 5 years ago and swore never to go there again. Cheap, but when there was a problem absolutely useless. Does anybody know if they any better now?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 08-Jul-11 09:10:49
Print Post

TalkTalk themselves seem to be a bit better, but I wouldn't go with them. But the two resellers are much better to deal with, and in your situation I would seriously consider one of them. It's like saying most ISPs resell BT Wholesale - there's a huge difference between the good ones of those and BT Broadband.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Fri 08-Jul-11 10:23:39
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Thanks for those wise words. I have never heard of vivaciti or xilo/uno so will look into them. I used to be with Talk Talk about 5 years ago and swore never to go there again. Cheap, but when there was a problem absolutely useless. Does anybody know if they any better now?

Actually TalkTalk aren't that bad. Sure their telephone support isn't the best but what do you expect for £3.49 pm broadband? If you don't dabble in P2P and don't mind using their web forum support (which is brilliant BTW) and want to save money in the process, then going direct with TalkTalk will be the best option. If someone had told me 12 months ago i'd end up with TalkTalk, i'd have wet myself laughing. However i took the risk as last Sept they became the only LLU supplier at my exchange and being reasonably close to the exchange, i knew i could get higher speeds...and i don't regret going to them for one minute smile

Looking at your postcode and exchange location, you appear to be less than a mile away from the exchange (not as the crow flies), so you should get at least 13 meg speeds but obviously this could decrease if your line length is longer. Go for it, you won't be disappointed!

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 18015/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 2.9 db down / 12db up