General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 08-Jul-11 00:50:43
Print Post

Broadband for rented property

[link to this post]

I have a building split into multiple separate self contained flats, looking to provide broadband to tenants. Don't mind providing a voip phone for tenants via a voip router but don't want them to be able to use normal phone line, problem have with some lines are they can still make operator calls or receive reverse calls so this adds to the bills. Does any provider stop all outgoing calls and operator calls but still offer unlimited broadband. If not unlimited would need a way to limited broadband usage to each flat so one flat can't stop usage for the others. Has to be provider with BT line as cable not available.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 08-Jul-11 01:49:51
Print Post

Re: Broadband for rented property

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Why even go there,leave it to your tenants to get their own line & bb , as what your wanting isn't available you cannot have a bb only line all have the ptsn part available ,you can bar all calls for a fee, but that about it,
Standard User Spacemanc
(learned) Fri 08-Jul-11 02:34:12
Print Post

Have the socket in a locked area/box with a wireless router? But barring all calls is a better option - some people can be very sneaky - they could strip an exposed wire to get free calls and leave you with a hefty phone bill.

I can understand you wanting to offer it though - its a good selling point for tenants who are unlikely to stay for more than a year. All the contracts seem to be edging towards 18 months now, which is useless for a lot of tenants.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 08-Jul-11 07:09:09
Print Post

If your providing the broadband, how about hiding the router some where and only running ethernet cables to the flats. Then tell the tennants to use skype on there pc or laptop for phone calls.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 08-Jul-11 09:06:07
Print Post

Please can you tell us the exchange, post the link to what samknows says, as there are very few providers of unlimited broadband. Knowing the exchange we can tell you which are available there.

I like the suggestion from an earlier poster about running ethernet to the flats. Or of course, wireless, but that could be slow. Depends what you want to provide - full performance or just a basic browsing and emailing connection.

Ah - another thought, use this samknows page instead, and post what it says about the speeds at that address! There could be a problem with that if one tenant starts maxing things out, so we may need to look at solving that. Still tell us the exchange though, so we can check the suppliers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Adamant
(legend) Sat 09-Jul-11 00:05:38
Print Post

+1 for this

Alternatively, although a little more expensive then get an SDSL circuit rather than ADSL as there won't even be a dial tone on an SDSL circuit!

Adam
Sky Max LLU
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 09-Jul-11 03:29:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

exchange is http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NIOM.

Green
ADSL available at ~7.5Mbps
Green ADSL2+ available at ~24Mbps
Red
Cable services not available
Green
FTTC services available
Green
BT 21CN services available
Red
Wireless services not available

SDSL is over 200per month so not a runner. Plan was to see if a provider could do an unlimited package but have all the outgoing calls blocked incase someone did try cutting wires.

I was going to install something like a draytek 2820Vn router in locked area and cables running off it to each flat - wireless an option as would limited usage. i would have the option of setting up local voip tel with service such as sipgate.

Can't have any possibility of outgoing calls or operator reverse calls.
Standard User epyon
(regular) Sat 09-Jul-11 05:45:05
Print Post

BTs unlimited FTTC services (£36p/m) then run it to a router/ethernet switch.
Standard User Adamant
(legend) Sat 09-Jul-11 12:16:14
Print Post

I was under the impression that as long as the cable was cut before the NTE5 then it's in BT's property and so you wouldn't be liable for the calls - same as if someone climbed the nearest pole to pick up your pair or broke into a cab......

I'm sure a member of staff at BT will correct me if I'm wrong! smile

Adam
Sky Max LLU
Standard User rogan8
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Jul-11 13:06:41
Print Post

[re: Adamant] [link to this post]

As far a physical damage is conecerned then if it is within the end users property then they are liable for repairs. Cant say about call charges but imagine that would be the same.
A police crime reference may help dispute any illicit calls.
  Print Thread

Jump to