General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User iancol
(newbie) Sat 09-Jul-11 16:52:24
Print Post

Planning ahead

[link to this post]

Hi all, I have a fibre optic termination box at the end of my drive and am about to get the drive relaid, which would give me an opportunity provide for future installation of fibre optics to my property without digging up the garden or drive at the time.

I currently get 5+Mbps download and 0.7Mbps upload speeds via my 'phone line and Talktalk, which is perfectly adequate for my needs at the moment (no gaming, music or movie downloads). My question is: for the expected changes in the industry, is it anticipated that fibre optics will be a lot better in future than satellite, to the extent that it would be worth the expense of laying a conduit (with pull-through)? Assuming the consensus is Yes:

What minimum diameter of conduit?
What minimum bend radius for changes of direction?
Should joints be waterproof?

Thanks in anticipation.

Ian
Standard User burakkucat
(member) Sat 09-Jul-11 19:56:31
Print Post

Re: Planning ahead

[re: iancol] [link to this post]

My question is: for the expected changes in the industry, is it anticipated that fibre optics will be a lot better in future than satellite, to the extent that it would be worth the expense of laying a conduit (with pull-through)? Assuming the consensus is Yes:

What minimum diameter of conduit?
What minimum bend radius for changes of direction?
Should joints be waterproof?
I think you will find some useful information in the OpenReach Builders Guide.

My personal opinion in reply to your four questions: Yes, Not sure, Not sure and Yes.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 09-Jul-11 20:57:11
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Useful document.
I did have a bit of a giggle over the jointing chambers on page 18.
I'd put money on the top picture (the 'how it should be done') being a mock-up and the lower picture (the 'how not to do it') being the real-life installation from a typical British building site smile

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 09-Jul-11 22:59:47
Print Post

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "a fibre optic termination box". Is this FTTP kit from BT, or a cabinet, or what? Is this a new build estate?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 09-Jul-11 23:04:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Or is it a Virgin?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 10-Jul-11 09:14:01
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Good question smile.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User iancol
(newbie) Sun 10-Jul-11 09:49:51
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Thanks for the comments. All I need to know technically is in the Openreach manual, which still leaves me with the decision on whether to proceed (partly dependent on being able to source the duct and accessories and at what cost).

I also posted this on the Virgin Media forum site, looking at some of the thread headers, I'm wondering whether it would be worth the hassle. Fibre-optic-based supply doesn't seem to be very foolproof!

Anyway,

Thanks all for your inputs.

Ian
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 10-Jul-11 09:58:47
Print Post

What on earth is the termination box though? As XRaySpex says, is it even anything to do with BT? If it isn't, then the OR manual irrelevant.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 10-Jul-11 11:00:37
Print Post

Are you talking about FTTC or FTTP? FTTC comes down your existing phone line to the house. How is that routed?

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 10-Jul-11 11:11:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Same question in a Virgin forum http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broa...

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to