General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User mags88
(newbie) Tue 12-Jul-11 20:59:15
Print Post

Orange FUP

[link to this post]

Hello everyone,

I have been looking at Orange Broadband mainly because of their competitive price and "unlimited" downloads.

When speaking to them on the phone the operator repeatedly told me that they had no fair-use policy and that they had no download limit.

I'm a bit sceptical of this as I have read many forum posts where people have stated that they have been warned by orange for exceeding a FUP.

Further searching has brought me to this page:

http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/com.instranet.Inst...

They clearly state that they haveno download limit or traffic management.

They do state that they slow down P2P during peak times which is understandable.

I would use P2P alot and my fear is that they would throttle my connection, however, the above link seems to say that they will only slow P2P down during peak time and there will be no further traffic management.

Can anyone else back this up?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Jul-11 21:48:16
Print Post

Re: Orange FUP

[re: mags88] [link to this post]

Can't say about usage limits as I am not excessive smile. It was always rumoured to be a FUP of 40 GB /mo on LLU, but since they discontinued LLU they say it is "unlimited" as that Help page confirms.

You are aware that they have discontinued LLU and handed over their BB to BT? Depending on your exchange they will either put you on BT WBC ADSL2+ on 21CN exchanges or BT IPStream ADSL Max on 20CN ones.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User mags88
(newbie) Tue 12-Jul-11 22:00:35
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yes I am aware they dropped LLU but I really don't understand how that affects me.

I am in the Belfast Stormont exchange:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NISTM

Could you shed any light for me?

Thanks,

Mark

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 12-Jul-11 22:09:35
Print Post

You are on a 20CN exchange and will only be put on "up to" 8 Meg BT IPStream, the same as every other ISP in your area.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User mags88
(newbie) Tue 12-Jul-11 22:23:43
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thats what I thought, so at least with Orange I will be paying the least and also have unlimited no fair use policy broadband...
Standard User mags88
(newbie) Tue 12-Jul-11 22:47:58
Print Post

I've noticed an older thread from June this year where the poster states that their connection was throttled after a heavy months worth of downloading:

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/f/4010345-o...

Have things actually changed since then? I find it hard to image they have...
Standard User mags88
(newbie) Wed 13-Jul-11 20:56:35
Print Post

Taken directly from Orange's "Broadband Code of Practice:"

Broadband usage
All our currently available broadband services offer unlimited usage, subject to fair use policy.
This means that there are not specific usage allowances as a feature of the package. Like
other broadband service providers we operate a fair usage policy that protects customers
from others that use their broadband connection excessively. If you exceed the fair use
policy, we could suspend your service or reduce the speed at which your broadband works.

So to be honest really no further on. I have sent them an email asking directly about their FUP so we'll see what happens...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 13-Jul-11 23:24:07
Print Post

Seeing as that clause will have been vetted by at least a company-employed solicitor, and possibly as high as an external QC, anyone telling you more detail than that stands to get the sack.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Spacemanc
(learned) Thu 14-Jul-11 17:05:09
Print Post

I've been on Orange for the last couple of weeks. I've already gone over 40gig (had no BB for 2 weeks during change so alot of catching up to do!) My DL'ing has been a mixture of filehosts and torrents. No sign of throttling anytime of the day or night, and not even any sign of contention in the evenings. Having said that Im on 21CN, and almost all the people who have complained about problems seem to be on 20CN.
You will get pretty much the same whoever you go with if you're on 20CN, so I'd go for the cheapest. At the moment on quidco.com you can get £150 for signing up as well.

Also when I spoke to technical support for router settings, they also said to me that there is no throttling and no limits.
Standard User mags88
(newbie) Thu 14-Jul-11 19:00:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Got my reply from Orange today:

Thanks for your email.

We don't have a set usage amount in place as this is now unlimited
download time.

If you don't use file sharing software or download large files from the
Internet it's unlikely you'll never be affected by our fair usage
policy. If you do, all we ask is that you do so considerately, perhaps
by downloading outside the peak hours of 6:30pm to midnight. Media
streaming, including the streaming of internet radio and Iplayer,
contributes to your use of bandwidth and you may find downloading in
peak hours is slower.

If you have any further queries then please do not hesitate to get in
contact with us again.

Kind Regards

Dawn
Customer Care
Orange Internet

So they have a FUP and are telling fibs on their website... From what I gather as long as I avoid any P2P downloading during peak times and don't take the [censored] with massive downloads each month I shouldn't be throttled.

Agree?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to