General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User robzki
(regular) Sat 16-Jul-11 19:16:09
Print Post

Could someone look at these stats please?

[link to this post]

Hi all

I am fairly naive when it comes to the technical aspects of BB connections. I have been with Bt until a few days ago. I connected at 3-4mb which gave me a usable speed of 2.5-3.5mb when doing speed tests etc I take it this is normal?

I have just joined Sky connect 2 days ago. I had several disconnections and the router wouldn't then try and reconnect, I had to reboot it to get it to reconnect. The router had disconnected then reconnected 2hrs before I got up. I have added the stats below. When doing a speedtest I get 0.7mb as a result. I have tested morning, afternoon and evening yesterday and today and I am usually getting 2mb in the morning, 1mb in the afternoon and sub 1mb in the evening.

Is this down to a substandard service from sky?

Is it a line training thing?

From these stats should I expect more? I thought sky tried for a 7db snr?

Also Is it the actual sync speed that increases with a drop in snr or is it the usable connection that is affected? what I mean.is will the 3776kbps increase from a drop in the snr to 7db or just an improvement to my speedtest results.

Sorry to babble, I'd just like to understand what all of the stats mean and whether I should regret moving to sky more than I already do

Thanks again

Rob

ROUTER STATISTICS

System Up Time: 34:43:42
Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
WAN PPPoA 101605 124706 0 22294966 127729268 12:22:06
LAN Down 0 0 0 0 0 34:43:42
WLAN Up 376617 272986 0 396780504 52590877 34:43:23
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3776 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 51.5 dB 29.5 dB
Noise Margin 10.2 dB 19.0 dB

Edited by robzki (Sat 16-Jul-11 19:18:33)

Standard User robzki
(regular) Sat 16-Jul-11 19:59:58
Print Post

Re: Could someone look at these stats please?

[re: robzki] [link to this post]

I have done several speedtests at various places

a lot, including thinkbroadband say 0.7mb

Some say 2mb

Bt says 2.5mb, it also says that my sync speed is 3776(same as the router stats) and that the ip profile is 3mb

I am a little confused by the variation, Some webpages load fairly quickly, others are painfully slow.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Jul-11 20:19:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by robzki:
I have just joined Sky connect 2 days ago.
Why? Worst thing you could have done. Why leave BT?

What exchange are you on? Even if it has no LLU, there are many better non-LLU ISPs than Sky Connect.

Sync speed increases with NM decrease. Usable throughput usually just a proportion, about 83%, of Sync.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User robzki
(regular) Sat 16-Jul-11 20:25:56
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Ahh, thanks for your help, cleared up a lot of my confusion.

I moved from bt as they started overcharging, thought a change was as good as a rest etc etc. No llu here, north tamerton exchange. middle of nowhere with 4km between me and the exchange.

Sky did me free connect for a year, I'd heard horror stories about their service but assumed most isps have them, Appears they weren't unfounded frown

Thanks again smile

Rob
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Jul-11 20:46:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by robzki:
Sky did me free connect for a year,
You get what you pay for wink

Yes, you are stuck with BT's IPStream ADSL Max there from any ISP. You just need to find one that is not over-contended at an acceptable price.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
Standard User blackmesa8
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 16-Jul-11 21:19:50
Print Post

Sky normaly let you you leave if you ask your mac or cancel (you want your mac) within 10 days. Sky connect is def among the worse and slowest isp's in the uk. I would def say get your mac asap do it tonight if you can since sky support is 24/7.
And then migrate to a better ipstream isp.

Im sure the kind people on here will help you choose which one if you ask.
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Jul-11 23:10:56
Print Post

AAMOI try doing the BT Performance Test and post the resulting data.

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 17-Jul-11 08:28:28
Print Post

Sky Connect is well known here to be probably the worst of the significant offerings around. It suffers hugely from congestion for starters.

I'm surprised at disconnections, so maybe as well as the service itself you have a dodgy router. It also looks as though the noise margin may have been raised because of the disconnections.

Although I think you are right about Sky using a 7dB margin initially, that is on their (quite good) LLU service. Connect is a BT Wholesale based service so I expect starts at 6dB as usual.

If it is right, as suggested earlier, that you have a 10-day get-out window, I suggest a move to Plusnet ASAP. That has this traffic management, but at least that is a known factor and you can work round it if necessary.

Support is reasonable, and their reps on here are very good if you do have problems with the phone support. It is also likely that cheaper that Sky.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 17-Jul-11 08:30:50
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Sync speed increases with NM decrease. Usable throughput usually just a proportion, about 83%, of Sync.
Memory loss again? tongue

BT Wholesale circuit - IP Profiles apply.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User panda
(committed) Sun 17-Jul-11 12:24:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
BT Wholesale circuit - IP Profiles apply.
Not strictly true in all circumstances.
For some time BTW have been trialling a new method of profiling for WBC services, where the profile is matched exactly to the sync speed and adjusted at each sync event.

The reported profile however, shows as around 85-90% of sync as this an IP (layer 3) measurement, where sync is at layer 2 - in the same way that an old fixed 1Mb service actually synced at 1152Kb/s to allow for overheads and give a 1000Kb/s IP throughput.

As an example:
Your DSL Connection Rate :3352 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 888 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2956 Kbps

Eats shoots and leaves.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to