General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Psyman
(newbie) Sat 16-Jul-11 21:01:23
Print Post

Newbie question - sorry!

[link to this post]

Been having probs with my be* broadband,

When I reset my router it will sync at 14500 kbps download - very happy!

But over a period of a week or so I'll use the phone and will hear what sounds like static on the line...... this then disappears and my router re-syncs at a lower speed. After a couple of weeks I'm down to about 7000 kbps downwload frown

When I use the phone without the router on the line it's crystal clear...

I recently had all my internal phone wiring replaced as it went all round the house with 1960's quality wire.... and my initial sync speed (previously only about 12500 kps) jumped to the above.

My question is this.... is it usual to get a high sync speed with broadband, so high you can seemingly hear the router on the line, so when I use the phone the router recognises this as interference and it drops it speed down? Is that how broadband works? It reduces speed when phone in use? So realistically 7000 kbps is all I can expect?

Or is there something odd going on? When I reboot my router and I get a new sync is that the speed I should expect to continue? If so, perhaps one of my filters is faulty and not splitting the bandwidth correctly? I suspect my phone mayalso be faulty (possibly) as it's a big long in the tooth...!

Sorry for the newb question but I'm getting fed up with the very impressive initial sync dropping to half the speed over a period of days.....

Thanks for any help you guys can offer!

Thanks

Psyman
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 16-Jul-11 21:09:47
Print Post

Re: Newbie question - sorry!

[re: Psyman] [link to this post]

The line should be silent. Also, you should be using a wired phone, not DECT. Try the quiet line test (17070 option 2) with your router disconnected. If you hear noise report it to whoever you pay line rental to as a voice fault.

Try it again with the router connected. If you hear a noise, it's either a faulty filter or faulty router.

Try it in the test socket behind the master if possible, to rule out your extension wiring.

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Jul-11 21:21:57
Print Post

You have a faulty filter.

When you re-did the phone wiring, did you replace the faceplate to a filtered one?

If so, put another filter in series with the phone.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Psyman
(newbie) Sat 16-Jul-11 21:37:04
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for your comments

I had a BT iPlate installed originally but the engineer who recently replaced my internal phone wiring installed a new "filtered master socket" on the basis that everything else was new so why now replace that too?..... assume it's a similar gizmo to the iplate to reduce interference?

Incidentally I also recently got a new 802.11n router (to stream to an HD TV) and the problem seemed to exist before I installed this so maybe the filters are the problem......

I'm a bit gutted though as I splashed out on 3 ADSL nation XF-1e filters (which I read were the mutts nutts?) and which when installed seemed to also significantly improve the sync speed)

Will try the tests batboy suggests and, if it suggests a filter prob, maybe look to buy one new XF-1e filter assuming only one is likely to be faulty (??!!), and swap it around

Thanks for all your help

Psyman
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 16-Jul-11 23:02:47
Print Post

Did you bin the old filters? If not, easier and cheaper to try those, and if that fixes it gradually re-introduce the new ones one at a time until something falls over.

I wouldn't be too sure about the new filtered faceplate and/or its wiring either! Depending on make and how it has been installed, dangly filters should not be needed anywhere. That's one of the main points of having it. From the xf-ie filters, would I be guessing right thinking it is an XTE-2005?

If you remove the faceplate, do all extensions stop working? What wires are attached to the T2, T3, T5 and A/B terminals on the faceplate, if it is an XTE-2005?

Which socket is the router connected to, and what is on the others?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 16-Jul-11 23:38:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by Psyman:
I had a BT iPlate installed originally but the engineer who recently replaced my internal phone wiring installed a new "filtered master socket" on the basis that everything else was new so why now replace that too?..... assume it's a similar gizmo to the iplate to reduce interference?
No, they are different!

The I-Plate just eliminates the bell wire. It still needs dangly filters.

A filtered faceplate, as its name implies, has the filter already built in and so it is supposed to do away with separate filters. Are you saying you are still using the XF-1e filters?

The same thing happened to me last week when the BT engineers sent unnecessarily by my ISP took it upon themselves to fit an Openreach filtered faceplate to my master socket, which was OK in the first place, just because it was more up-to-date and more cosmetic. Since then my corded phone makes a shushing noise during a call. By placing a dangly filter between the master socket and the phone the shushing noise disappears completely, which proves that the filter inside the filtered faceplate is defective.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU BB => 2010: Orange 19 Meg Tweaked / 16 Meg Untweaked LLU BB
  Print Thread

Jump to