General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User chris6273
(member) Mon 18-Jul-11 04:54:07
Print Post

Are 21CN exchanges more attractive to LLU Providers?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Just a quick question - In general, are 21CN enabled exchanges more attractive to LLU providers?
My exchange (WWNETH - http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WWNETH ) is due to be enabled with 21CN kit soon (Bear in mind its size) and it's a Market 1 exchange.

What is the likelihood of seeing some LLU providers popping up?

The exchange building looked around half full with a few empty rooms when I last took a peek and before 21CN was mentioned (The new kit will probably take up a bit of space) so there could possibly be some space for LLU providers.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
6851kbps Throughput:
My Broadband Speed Test

Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 13.0 db 10.0 db
Max(Kbps): 11616 1056

Edited by chris6273 (Mon 18-Jul-11 04:59:01)

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jul-11 07:01:18
Print Post

Re: Are 21CN exchanges more attractive to LLU Providers?

[re: chris6273] [link to this post]

The exchange building looked around half full with a few empty rooms when I last took a peek and before 21CN was mentioned (The new kit will probably take up a bit of space) so there could possibly be some space for LLU providers.

It doesn't take up that much space TBH. Usually, the empty rooms you can see, when trespassing (!), are old storage rooms, the original Strowager kit and staff to tend it, took up a lot more space.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Jul-11 07:42:54
Print Post

In reply to a post by chris6273:
Just a quick question - In general, are 21CN enabled exchanges more attractive to LLU providers?
That depends what you mean. I doubt that the presence of 21CN itself attracts LLUOs - in fact it might deter it since it means that BT is finally offering the same technological features - however the same factors that attracted 21CN investment probably appeal to LLUOs as well. In other words 21CN suggests a thriving market and LLUOs only go to thriving markets.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 18-Jul-11 08:24:21
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Zarjaz:

It doesn't take up that much space TBH. Usually, the empty rooms you can see, when trespassing (!), are old storage rooms, the original Strowager kit and staff to tend it, took up a lot more space.

Actually a TXE2 exchnage before.
Standard User baby_frogmella
(committed) Mon 18-Jul-11 08:27:33
Print Post

No, i don't think the availability of 21CN affects a LLU operators decision whether to LLU an exchange or not. They primarily look at whether they can get a good return on their investment. Where i live (Inverness area) its known as Tesco town due to them having 4 mega stores here (no Asda or Sainsburys)....and Tesco broadband runs on C&W LLU network. My local exchange (only about 5k users with no 21CN) was recently LLU'd by C&W and (imho) this can only be down to Tesco's heavy marketing of their broadband services which means more revenue for C&W.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ connected @ 18015/1019 kbps
Attenuation 27db down / 9db up
Noise Margin 2.9 db down / 12db up