General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Wilsanio
(newbie) Wed 20-Jul-11 13:52:33
Print Post

Slow Broadband Connection

[link to this post]

Hi there,

I am looking for some advice please. I have always had a pretty slow connection and recently opened up the BT outreach master socket to try the test socket. The test socket works great so the problem seems to be the face plate. (I have a picture but can't seem to attach it)The back of the faceplate had none of the visible wires attached to it which maybe my problem. I have looked at various sites / pictures online and they all seem to have wiring attached to the back of the faceplate. The wires I have available are orange and white, the other blue and white cables seem to be connected to something already. Would appreciate some assistance as to how to resolve this.

Cheers
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Jul-11 13:55:04
Print Post

Re: Slow Broadband Connection

[re: Wilsanio] [link to this post]

If you have no extensions then it is normal for the removeable faceplate to have no wires connected to it.

Use a picture hosting site like flckr and then post a link, and we will figure it out.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Wilsanio
(newbie) Wed 20-Jul-11 14:15:21
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65508564@N08/5957846308/

I have a double socket going into the removeable faceplate which has the ADSL / phone filter and Sky TV going into into it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 20-Jul-11 14:28:47
Print Post

Double socket ? Is the ADSL filter going to one side and Sky the other? Can you get a picture of that arrangement?

However, my guess is that your Sky connection is not filtered.

Fit the filter to the faceplate socket, then then the double socket into that. Voice and Sky into the doubler and DSL into the filter's ADSL connection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Jul-11 14:53:15
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

So no extensions and no need for anything to be connected.

As other poster has said you should have the ADSL filter as the FIRST thing plugged into the faceplate, then the Sky box into the phone side, and the ADSL modem into the ADSL side.

If you need a doubler, i.e. so phone and Sky will work, plug the doubler into the phone socket on the ADSL filter.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Wilsanio
(newbie) Wed 20-Jul-11 16:43:15
Print Post

http://www.flickr.com/photos/65508564@N08/5958252254/

Thanks guys. Photo attached of the current set up. I will try your suggestion and let you know how I get on
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Jul-11 16:48:42
Print Post

If the black lead in the doubler goes to the Sky box then probably your problem, unplug the sky box, restart the ADSL modem and see if the ADSL statistics are better. Also where does the white lead from the doubler go to - if the device on the end of that does not have an ADSL filter even more problems.

In terms of getting a setup that works better, the double won't fit your ADSL filter (and allow the ADSL modem plugged in to),

I would suggest buying
http://www.adslnation.com/phpapps/catalog/product_in...
XTE-2005 Master Faceplate, and then the ADSL modem plugs directly into the ADSL socket, and the doubler can plug into the phone side.

Standard User Wilsanio
(newbie) Wed 20-Jul-11 17:00:48
Print Post

Yes, black lead in doubler goes to Sky box. Do you mean the white lead coming out from the bottom? Not sure what that is doing, will check out when I get home from work.

Have looked at the image of the XTE-2005 Master faceplate, is there enough room between the sockets to get the doubler on?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 20-Jul-11 17:14:26
Print Post

Probably - though your doubler is somewhat chunky.

HomeBase has a slimmer doubler that should fit with no problems for £4.29
Masterplug UK Compact Double Equipment Adaptor.

link to adaptor

NOTE Homebase ADSL kit is generally to be avoided.

If you hate waiting for deliveries and have a Maplin nearby http://www.maplin.co.uk/adsl-plug-in-faceplate-filte... £17.99, their 2 way adaptor is £5.99

Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 20-Jul-11 17:17:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Probably - though your doubler is somewhat chunky.

That looks like the standard Sky install doubler and the cable to that goes in the bottom.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to