General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jul-11 19:18:25
Print Post

Exchanging BT Faceplates

[link to this post]

Can one easily replace a Openreach Filtered Faceplate (R) with a BT Split Faceplate (R)? It is not obvious to me how the top half of the Split Faceplate is secured.

During an abortive and unnecessary visit to fix a BB issue, Openreach engs. took it into their heads to fit a filtered faceplate just because it was more up-to-date and more cosmetic. Since then it has caused a noise on my phone which can be eliminated by interposing a dangly filter, but that rather defeats the purpose. So I want to restore a Split Faceplate, which was OK in the first place, but ISP won't resend engs. to remedy. So I've told them to send one which I will fit.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 15.6 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 16.8 Meg Untweaked WBC
Standard User Ribble
(member) Thu 21-Jul-11 19:30:59
Print Post

Re: Exchanging BT Faceplates

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

They are secured with 2 screws at the front, though I think they are longer screws for the filtered vs standard.
Any extension wiring will need to be disconnected and then re-connected
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 21-Jul-11 20:15:00
Print Post

the ssfp does seem to allow more audible noise through than a microfilter, however I have its dsl performance is worth the added hiss - which only good quality phones really pick up.

Also as you may know you should not replace the nte5 entirely so changing for a double plate is legally a no no. If you ask an engineer on your travels for a faceplate (i.e. the removable extension part of the nte5) they will most often happily give you one (it costs us nothing) - plus for you it will look neater.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jul-11 20:23:54
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

SSFP? I do have good quality phones. In what way is its DSL performance better? I have no extensions connected.

I wish the engs had not nicked my faceplate. Where can I get the removable part of an NTE5. I meet no engs on my travails.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 15.6 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 16.8 Meg Untweaked WBC
Standard User ggremlin
(committed) Thu 21-Jul-11 20:29:08
Print Post

It is not obvious to me how the top half of the Split Faceplate is secured.

the top half is part of the 'backbox' assembly, only the bottom half is removable.
hence the 'step' in the filtered faceplates
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 21-Jul-11 20:31:30
Print Post

On the whole I have found them to give much better performance (with extensions), plus I have never replaced a faulty ssfp (filter plate) - but many many micro filters. A lot of people dont notice the extra hiss, but if you have good hearing and a good quality phone you can hear the difference.

If you bump into an engineer at his van and ask nicely he will give you a new front plate. I have handed out quite a few. As I say it costs us nothing and if anything like me he will have loads ready to be binned from fitting ssfps.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 21-Jul-11 22:01:55
Print Post

[re: ggremlin] [link to this post]

Thanks, that's just what I need to know. I never noticed the join in the filtered faceplate.

@ Anon: Thanks, I 'll stop the next OR van I see, my ISP doesn't drum up one for me.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 23-Jul-11 16:26:52
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
SSFP?

Service Specific Face Plate

What the ADSL (and the newer FTTC / VDSL) face plates are called to separate them from the original NTE5 face plate.

As for a source - you could try ebay !!

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User Ribble
(member) Sat 23-Jul-11 17:48:14
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Close. Service Specific Front Plate.
  Print Thread

Jump to