General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 25-Jul-11 09:02:49
Print Post

Is bandwidth proportional to or capped at advertised speeds?

[link to this post]

Hi,

No doubt you get this questions a lot, but unfortunately its a difficult one to search for tongue

I currently pay for 24meg broadband, I'm quite far from the exchange and actually get around 5meg. My question is, is the bandwidth capped to the advertised package speed or is it proportional? i.e. if I were to switch to a cheaper 12meg package would I still get 5meg? or would it halve to 2.5meg?

Thanks in advance,

Peter
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 25-Jul-11 09:24:45
Print Post

Re: Is bandwidth proportional to or capped at advertised spe

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

You cannot buy 24Meg broadband it is UP TO 24Meg, based on ADSL2+ which is thus dependent on line length.

12Meg service would be ADSL2+ still, so the connection speed (the 5Meg you get now) is unlikely to change. Check what they do with upstream speeds, this may be slower (due to an artificial product rule)

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User eckiedoo
(newbie) Mon 25-Jul-11 12:03:15
Print Post

Following on from Andrew's reply, your main problem would appear to be your distance from the exchange - it will always be a major factor, keeping in mind also that the electrical.cable distance is likely to be significantly greater than both the "straight-line" distance; and greater than the road distance.

Even the local distribution in the vicinity of your house can be misleading.

Our local distribution cabinet is 25 yards away at most, directly opposite our front door where the cable entry point is located.

But the cable route is about 125 yards, as it is taken about 50 yards past six other houses to a small distribution post, then 25 yards across the road (and possibly more) then 50 yards back to the cabinet. Hopefully the main run to the exchange seems to be simpler.

I would suspect that you may get a bit more than 5 Mbps if you "dropped" from the "up to 24 Mbps" service to the "up to 12 Mbps", as the lower rate is likely to be more "robust" in practice.

Unfortunately, the only way to find out would be to try it - with the contractual problems etc that would involve.

You may be able to achieve slight improvements by ensuring that your PC etc is fully tuned up; and even cleaning connectors in the phone wiring system.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 25-Jul-11 12:07:32
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

I would suspect that you may get a bit more than 5 Mbps if you "dropped" from the "up to 24 Mbps" service to the "up to 12 Mbps", as the lower rate is likely to be more "robust" in practice.

Inserts appropriate what a load of type comment...

For example Be up to 24Mbps service and up to 12Mbps are actually the same at the xDSL radio signal level. Only someone with a 13Mbps sync would see a reduction if they dropped to a 12Mbps service.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 25-Jul-11 12:21:03
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Generally, the best way to estimate if someone's connection speed can be improved is to have them post their router stats. Using the TBB BQM tool can also give added info regarding line latency issues, such as contention, packet loss etc.

Router errors (and whether the connection is interleaved or not) and connection profile might also shed some light on issues or possible line potential.

Also, the user's hardware (facplates, filters, router, number of joints in the network) can all be taken into account, along with any wiring issues (such as wiring age, master socket age, bell wire removal).

Lastly, the PC itself can be the cause of slowdown if it's quite old, if there's an excess of software running on it (causing resource issues), or if any software is using the network randomly or constantly in the background (without the user's knowledge).

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

Live BQM ~ Connection Data
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Mon 25-Jul-11 19:31:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
For example Be up to 24Mbps service and up to 12Mbps are actually the same at the xDSL radio signal level. Only someone with a 13Mbps sync would see a reduction if they dropped to a 12Mbps service.

But that said - some people get a higher sync rate if they limit their router to ADSL2 rather then ADSL2+ .

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 25-Jul-11 21:18:11
Print Post

Quite a lot of stuff in the replies so far.

I would guess you are thinking of switching to Be? If so, is your connectcion speed 5Mbps, or is that your typical throughput?

In either case, I would expect your throughput to improve if you are looking at Be Value.

It would help if you could post your current line stats - see here for help, and your current ISP and exchange would be useful to provide a better analysis.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Mon 25-Jul-11 23:56:47
Print Post

It's capped at the advertised speed. On a 24 meg product you'll connect as fast as your line allows, but the technology (adsl2+) will only connect at a maximum of 24mbit.
If you've a slower line, you'll get what it's capable of (in your case 5mbit, but as discussed you might be able to convince more speed from it!)

the be* value product merely sets a limit of 12 meg at the exchange. If you're at 5mbit then you'll notice no difference. If you're on 12.1 or more you'll be limited to 12 meg, despite your line being capable of speeds in excess of this.

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 26-Jul-11 09:15:37
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the replies!

I am currently on the Be Unlimited package and would be switching down to the Value package, the upload speed is the same. This was more about saving money (albeit only about £5/month) rather than trying to improving connection speed and given the comments above I will definitely consider switching down.

That said, given the suggestions here I may well come back and post my router stats etc (when I'm back at home) and see if I can coax a bit more speed out of it.

Thanks Again,

Peter
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 26-Jul-11 10:07:40
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

Correct, but that is another issue, i.e. squeezing the most out of a line.

The Be 12Meg service is still ADSL2+

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to