General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User an4rew
(experienced) Wed 27-Jul-11 15:56:18
Print Post

Low Sync Speed

[link to this post]

I had to change a bad microfilter, maybe i should have powered down the router first.
My sync has went from 14mb to 5mb no matter how many times i restart the router.

Its like capped around this speed and i've left it alone now. I've heard of the Bras Profile affecting the download speed but the sync speed too?

O2 LLU

ADSL
Type Interleave Path
Status SHOWTIME

Downstream Upstream

Data rate(Kbps)
5302Kb 214Kb

Noise Margin
6 4

Output power(dBm)
120 185

Attenuation(dB)
58 55

Noise margin has not increased from 6 to reflect this sudden drop.
My Attenuation has always been that high.

Edited by an4rew (Wed 27-Jul-11 16:06:18)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 27-Jul-11 16:54:29
Print Post

Re: Low Sync Speed

[re: an4rew] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by an4rew:
O2 LLU

Data rate(Kbps)
5302Kb 214Kb

Attenuation(dB)
58 55

Are you sure that your attenuation has always been so high? It's highly unlikely that you received 14Mb/s @ 58dB attenuation.

Change your filter for something better.

O2 LLU does not use DLM.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 27-Jul-11 17:00:25
Print Post

Can you check the power figures ...

downstream at 1GW and upstream of just under 4PW ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Jul-11 18:06:22
Print Post

I've heard of the Bras Profile affecting the download speed but the sync speed too?

O2 LLU
There is no IP Profile on LLU!
Attenuation(dB)
58 55
You're dreaming! You'd never get 14 Meg on 58dB attn. In fact you're lucky to get 5 Meg.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 15.6 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 16.8 Meg Untweaked WBC
Standard User an4rew
(experienced) Wed 27-Jul-11 18:30:16
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
I've heard of the Bras Profile affecting the download speed but the sync speed too?

O2 LLU
There is no IP Profile on LLU!
Attenuation(dB)
58 55
You're dreaming! You'd never get 14 Meg on 58dB attn. In fact you're lucky to get 5 Meg.

I must be wrong but assuming it has increased 20-30db in 24hrs a microfilter couldn't be the whole cause.

I've moved the router to the phone socket and plugged it directly into the test socket with no other equipment, the attenuation was 56db.

frown
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 27-Jul-11 18:51:35
Print Post

Do you have dial-tone on the line?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 27-Jul-11 19:06:56
Print Post

I must be wrong but assuming it has increased 20-30db in 24hrs
confused I thought you said it had always been high?

If it had really increased that much then 14 Meg would have indeed been possible.

Which is it to be? Always high or big increase?

What's the UPstream attn. in the test socket? It should be about half the Down.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 15.6 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 16.8 Meg Untweaked WBC
Standard User haggismn
(newbie) Thu 28-Jul-11 14:39:56
Print Post

O2 can't limit your sync speed. You'll always sync at the fastest possible speed with the exchange.

Have you noticed any roadworks around where you live? Could be BT installing fttc or working on the green box nearby.

Can you check the number of errors you are getting in the router log? You'll normally have a few, but a very high number of errors would indicate some kind of line interference. How about your socket, have you disconnected all wires (ring wire especially) except for 2 and 5? Since you are plugged into the test plug on the master socket, it is almost certainly a problem with BT equipment. My only worry is that O2 might not be very helpful in calling out a BT engineer. Your speed of 5Mbps is within their boundary of a "reasonably fast connection", and so they will only help you so much before giving up. Another idea is to check your nearest exchange to see if there has been any maintenance scheduled, or problems reported.

If you have done all this and still have no idea of the problem, call O2 and tell them straight away that your attenuation has risen sharply and that you are plugged into the master socket. They should agree to send an engineer out.

We had a similar problem. It turned out to be that something had been chewing on the wires inside our house.
Standard User john2007
(legend) Thu 28-Jul-11 22:18:44
Print Post

[re: haggismn] [link to this post]

I am being pedantic but O2 can certainly limit your sync speed. My line is capable of 16 Mbps+ but O2 limit the sync to 8188 Kbps as I only pay for the value product.
  Print Thread

Jump to