General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Ricky_
(newbie) Mon 01-Aug-11 10:53:22
Print Post

Really slow download speed

[link to this post]

I recently moved house around 12days ago, and i just got my internet back and i'm wondering why it is really slow? on speedtest.net i'm getting an average off 0.28-0.46 on download and 0.22 on upload, and in my old house i used to get 5.67 on download and 0.56 on upload, and i'm still with the same providor "AOL" and they have also gave me a new router, i'm also living in the same part off town.

I have also phoned AOL and they told me to do a speedtest which was very unhelpfull, any idea on what i should ask them on the phone?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 01-Aug-11 10:57:05
Print Post

Re: Really slow download speed

[re: Ricky_] [link to this post]

You need to in the first instance try the modem at the master sockets test socket, and compare the attenuation, connection speed and noise margins with what you get at your normal location in the property.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php shows how to get these numbers for most kit

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Invictel
(newbie) Mon 01-Aug-11 11:28:07
Print Post

Re: Really slow download speed

[re: Ricky_] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ricky_:
i'm also living in the same part off town.

Did you check your new property postcode on a broadband checker?

Unfortunately, it sometimes makes a big difference when moving house, even if you are only moving a short distance. This is all due to the underground lines, etc, and how far your broadband signal has to travel before it reaches you.

You may only be a mile or so from your local exchange, but in terms of wire length you could be looking at a further distance.

If you provide your postcode to SamKnows, they will be able to give you a approx. indication to what speeds you should expect.

Should all of that check out, do the router test as stated above and then look to doing line tests with AOL.

Invictel Ltd
http://www.invictel.co.uk
Home and Business broadband and telephone packages.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to