General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User kevlil88
(newbie) Thu 04-Aug-11 22:40:56
Print Post

mac code problems

[link to this post]

HI

apologies if i have posted in the wrong forum (but i am new to this)

i really need some help as three isp's are giving me the run around something rotten!

here goes are you sitting comfortably?.................................

having previously had a positive experience wtih sky i decided to go back with them when i recently moved addresss and the only difference with the service that they offered this time was i would be with sky connect and limited to 40gb i was told that this takes an awful lot of downloading etc to exceed, hmm wish i had listened to the warning bells! so everything started nicely nice an fast well relatively fast and no real problems...........

shortly after i noticed that during the evening my speed would drop dramatically to under 1 mb i started to call the help desk who reassured me that he speed would settle down after 10 days and guess what it never! after at least 10 - 15 calls later over the next five to seven days i had escalted the calls to the higher level tech team (JOKE) three times who checked the line and double checked the line each time giving me a plausible reason for why this was happening! so i raised a complaint then one of the tech guys (dont you just love that term?) informed me that i had exceeded me download limit and was being traffic shaped or something like that and the only way round it was for the next 5 - 7 days not to exceed 1gb per day, so i decided to leave and go to another provider (as i was within the first 28 days) and against my better judgement i ended up signing up with BT as they were the only ones who could offer me a speed above 3 mb. i had rang around all the other isp's who offered broadband in the area and the speeds i was offered were all dependant on the member of staff that i spoke with, anyway plusnet finally assured me that the could deliver 7 - mb daytime and it might drop to 5 or 5.5 mb during high traffic times. all i needed to do was contact BT and cancel my order.

i did this straight away so the time scale that my contract was live with BT was under three days, i did give them the mac code that i got from sky and was told by plusnet that all i had to do was give them the mac code nad i could recieve broadband from them within 7-10 days (a happy customer) then the fun started i would recieve a text an email from plusnet informing me that the order had reached a certain stage and everything was ontrack to be followed by a phone call form plusnet to be told that the order was still open with BT and they could not process my order until the order had been closed....... could i contact BT and close the order. which i did twice. then iwas told that the mac code was invalid as it had been previously used by BT and could i get back in touch with sky and explain the problem and request another mac code, sky wasnt prepared to do this as they are under the impression the BT will now be the provider who needs to provide me with a mac code, BT dont want to know any thing about anything because they havent got my a live account with my name on it.

so to summarise: sky will cease supplying me with BB on aug 9th plusnet have already told me that i will still need to provide them with a mac code after that date and will not accept my current mac code as BT have done something with it, both sky and bt say the mac code is still valid and plusnet say its not.......................

please help as all i want is decent bb for a decent price which isnt going to slow down to stupid speed when i really want to use it.

sorry for the ramble

Kev
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 05-Aug-11 00:27:10
Print Post

Re: mac code problems

[re: kevlil88] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by kevlil88:
so to summarise: sky will cease supplying me with BB on aug 9th plusnet have already told me that i will still need to provide them with a mac code after that date and will not accept my current mac code as BT have done something with it, both sky and bt say the mac code is still valid and plusnet say its not.......................

If you are still connected to Sky, they need to issue the MAC. Even if it was used, but then the order cancelled, the MAC is classed as used so a new one has to be issued.

Sky may just be looking at their systems, they will be able to generate a new MAC even within the validity period of the first one if that has been "used".

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 05-Aug-11 09:31:37
Print Post

Since Sky connect, BT and Plusnet all use the same exchange hardware to supply the service, the connection speed will be pretty much the same. So if your modem connects at 3Mbps, then it will not magically connect at 8Meg with Plusnet

What will vary is the peak to off peak speed variations, but I presume you are aware that depending on the application the peak speed will vary with Plusnet and both BT. Both use traffic management, generally not as harsh as Sky Connect

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 05-Aug-11 10:34:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Traffic management is not the problem with Sky it's the sheer amount of people Sky seems to have shoved onto it with showing no signs of actually buying more bandwidth.

People have reported BT Speedest results of 1kb/sec as soon as peak time appears.

They also seem to have introduced a "daily" download limit of 1.3 Gigabytes of which if you exceed you will be throttled for several days.

Go to SkyUser.co.uk and ask there about connect, there is a huge thread about all the problems people have been having, it's coming up to three years of these problems and Sky are refusing to do anything about it.
ISP Representative thatadamwalker
(isp) Fri 05-Aug-11 16:57:37
Print Post

Hi kevlil88,

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties you've had here and can understand your frustration with what should be a smooth process really.

Assuming you have a query open with us can you reply with a support ticket number and one of us will pick this issue up and see if there's anything we can do to aid your migration to our broadband service.

Adam Walker
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 05-Aug-11 17:44:55
Print Post

[re: thatadamwalker] [link to this post]

Hi Adam thanks for the post, i think i have several support requests open;
: number 45182652 ,45084948, 45033735, 45014237

most of these relate to the order as i was contacted by phone in relation to the mac code.......... i am sure you will have all notes on the system about this matter and i also raised a complaint number 45182652 and tried to discuss this matter with keith but as luck would have it my mobile decided it would not work.

any assistance you could offer adam would be gratefully appreciated
  Print Thread

Jump to