General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tokie
(newbie) Fri 12-Aug-11 22:34:16
Print Post

Are these line stats right?

[link to this post]

Line stats

This is on ADSL. I have maximum attenuation of ~15db, and SNR of ~15db. These seems pretty good, so why does this connection drop all the time? From the looks of it, interleave is disabled yet I get 20ms to the first hop? Note that this is on Tiscali/Talktalk.

Also, if I go to something like BE ADSL2+, should I expect at least 15mbps?
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Aug-11 23:21:01
Print Post

Re: Are these line stats right?

[re: tokie] [link to this post]

Wow! I don't know where to start, except you are most definitely on the wrong connection.

The minor point is that you are almost certainly on interleaved. The proof is whether or not FECs show up after longer than 2 minutes. If they do, then you are. If they don't, then TT are doing something weird to your line.

If you can get Be, then I would expect a connection speed between 18MBps and 20Mbps, with an actual download speed of over 83% of that. It's unusual though to be able to get Be and not the "proper" TalkTalk LLU - which you are not on.

Please put your number into this checker and post the URL of the result. Then many people here will be able to give their opinions on what you should do.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Aug-11 23:24:13
Print Post

Sorry, in my shock at the stats, I completely forgot about the disconnections. Please have a read through my Troubleshooting section to see if there is anything obvious, before we/anyone looks deeper into what may be the cause smile.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tokie
(newbie) Fri 12-Aug-11 23:33:23
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WEWMAI

The shameful part is that FTTC isn't available yet here, and there is no Virgin Media in my building either.

I am on the legacy Tiscali TV which was absorbed into Talktalk. I don't believe I could upgrade to ADSL2+ from Talktalk and keep the IPTV product, which is why its been on ADSL for so long.

Do you know if there is any way to check if there is a second (inactive) phone line in the flat? That way, I could keep Tiscali TV.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Aug-11 23:49:57
Print Post

You can get a second line installed for £30, on an 18-month contract. You need to make 10 outgoing calls per month, but these can be included in the "Calling Plan", so free. So if you make 10 dummy calls once a month to the existing number, and answer them, .... smile

Click the "Learn about" link on this page.

On that second line you can have Be.

The speeds on that would probably be as I said for the existing line, but that cannot be guaranteed. From the flat you have a cable which can normally carry two lines, but once that hits the first BT junction box it can take a different route to the exchange and have different stats. That is not usual, but happens quite often.

Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Sat 13-Aug-11 10:48:20
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
On that second line you can have Be.

Or Sky. They both should get 20meg or higher - if a second line was routed the same as the first.

James - be* pro - on THFB - sync about 17.2mbps - BQM
ISP Representative TALKTALK_SUPPORT
(isp) Mon 15-Aug-11 09:04:41
Print Post

Hi tokie,

if you send your account and telephone numbers to me via PM I will be happy to take a look at your connection.

Ady

TalkTalk, Online Community
www.talktalkmembers.co.uk/forums
"The information contained within these posts is provided by TalkTalk
to assist in the resolution of any queries our customers may have. Should you
have a specific request for information please do not hesitate to contact me."
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to