General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User stclares
(newbie) Sat 13-Aug-11 15:18:50
Print Post

Broadband Meter

[link to this post]

I have used TBB meter for some time now and have noticed that my PC seems to be constantly showing a download and upload of about 2.1kbps.
Is this usual or have I got a problem. I have scanned for viruses and spyware etc. using AVG, Spybot,Superantispyware and Malwarebytes. Nothing is showing up.
Is this usual activity?

John
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 13-Aug-11 15:21:19
Print Post

Re: Broadband Meter

[re: stclares] [link to this post]

Sounds wrong. Can you identify the process responsible?

______________________________________________________________________________attack_the_post_not_the_poster__________________
Standard User stclares
(newbie) Sat 13-Aug-11 15:37:05
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

I have tried but cannot identify anything out of the ordinary. IE and Firefox are shut down at the end of every surfing session, I do have Mailwasher installed but that only checks for mail every 10 minutes. I also have Skype running but as far as I can see nothing else.

John

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User djfunkdup
(committed) Sat 13-Aug-11 17:14:12
Print Post

depending on the OS you are using....have you had a look in: run/cmd/netstat ? from the start menu....

that will show all active processes that are connected on your connection..

again depending on what browser you are using,there could be some application that is live..

eg: on my opera browser i can have active world clock and active weather reports....

now i would imagine that both of these applications use a slight amount of bandwidth in order to operate and update..so it could be that you have something running in the background that is showing up on your net meter..

just a thought ..wink

Virgin Media 100 My Broadband Ping
Standard User stclares
(newbie) Sun 14-Aug-11 09:48:55
Print Post

[re: djfunkdup] [link to this post]

I look at run/cmd/netstat but it did not make much sense to me.
I D/L and ran M$ Malicious Software Removal Tool and another scan tool yesterday ( can't remember the name) and on restart seems to have done the job.
Thanks for the help

John
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 15-Aug-11 16:07:09
Print Post

If running latest tbbmeter you can grab a log of the TCP traffic that is going backwards and forwards.

Or just use the traffic log window which you can clear, and then refresh after a few seconds and should reveal where the data is going to/coming from

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User stclares
(newbie) Tue 16-Aug-11 00:54:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Both incoming and out going traffic is UDP Internet traffic. The log shows to many IP addresses
Advice needed as I do not know what all this means.

John
  Print Thread

Jump to