General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User whotogowith2011
(newbie) Sun 14-Aug-11 20:33:50
Print Post

plusnet or talktalk????

[link to this post]

hi everyone, moving into my own flat for the 1st time (scary time lol) on the 1st of sep, i have been looking at broadband/homephone deals which is took me between plusnet and talktalk,i have looked at sky broadband and dont like them at all. i will be gaming alot on the xbox some p2p and streaming. i dont mind a Little bit of traffic snapping but not all the time. i need anytime call package that includes 0845/0870 i need at least 50gig broadband usage. I have heard alot of bad things about talktalk but not so much about plusnet.Can anyone tell me some more about talktalk and plusnet and what they are like.i live with my parents at the mo which they are with o2 broadband which is very good but there new packages dont look every good at all frown
the postcode of the area im moving too is ol12 6rj.

thanks Thomas
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 14-Aug-11 21:03:38
Print Post

Re: plusnet or talktalk????

[re: whotogowith2011] [link to this post]

go with talktalk mate am with them got 3 xboxes in the house all working no problems at

all no slow down etc. some people talk a load of rubbish about them one thing I would say

is if you do join them and need anyhelp go to there members forum they are excellent in

there help and advice DON'T use the phone line support if that's what you can call it

http://www.talktalkmembers.com/forums/
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 14-Aug-11 21:04:16
Print Post

It partly depends how much you want to spend, and also how long you expect to be at the same flat.

I can't say I'm a fan of having the phone line and broadband bundled together. It normally means you are tied in more than you are by having them separate.

Ignoring that, on that exchange you can get Be. That is technically the same as, slightly more flexible in fact than, the old O2 packages your parents are on. That would be my choice, with the line from BT on an 18-month contract costing only £30 installation. You need to make 10 calls per month I think, but those can be within the included freebies. So you could make dummy calls to your parents, (or anywhere else), one after another, once a month.

Others to look at for the line are the Post Office and Be. The trouble with Be is that if you migrate out you have to change line provider as well, and that gets messy. Hence what I said at the start.

You could get both from Plusnet, but you would need the "Pro" "Boost". That prioritises gaming and also solves the traffic management, which is set out on this page.

What didn't you like about Sky? For the broadband side it is next best to Be.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Sun 14-Aug-11 21:27:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

hi there Roberto

I only really want to spend upto 25pound amonth for the phone and broadband, i have seen bethere they look great but its just the cost.

the only prob with sky is that the 0845 number are not included and i dont think i can have broadband with sky if im not having there tv?

is there alot of traffic snaping on talktalk plus package if so is it proper bad traffic snaping like the old days of tiscali? what sort of times they traffic snap?

there is no bt socket in the flat at the mo so thats going to cost to get a socket fixed?

thanks for your help, thomas
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 14-Aug-11 21:30:15
Print Post

there is NO traffic shaping on talktalk plus package
(newbie) Sun 14-Aug-11 21:33:54
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

so if i downloaded on p2p i wud get full torrent speed yeah?

cheers thomas
Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Sun 14-Aug-11 21:56:04
Print Post

....... i dont think i can have broadband with sky if im not having there tv?

It seems you can get it without TV

Edit > you can get BB and calls without paying sky for line rental link, see "Just want broadband & calls"

Alastair

omadasafisho

Edited by Apprentice (Sun 14-Aug-11 22:01:04)

Standard User CommandQ
(newbie) Sun 14-Aug-11 22:00:42
Print Post

They do throttle P2P. Be is the best large provider in my opinion. If not Be then get Sky.

BT (Up to 8)> Sky (Up to 20)> TalkTalk (Up to 24)> AAISP ADSL2+ Annex M
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 14-Aug-11 22:01:03
Print Post

That is correct
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 14-Aug-11 22:02:17
Print Post

[re: CommandQ] [link to this post]