General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User SimonWindsor
(learned) Mon 15-Aug-11 16:33:27
Print Post

Upgrading broadband speeds more quickly

[link to this post]

As an alternative to the current FTTC project, or a partial step in this project, is it possible for BT Openreach to 'push' fibre from exchanges to cabinets without the upheavel or massive exchange and cabinet replacements to give people a much better ADSL 2+ experience?

Surely this would be a lotter cheaper and quicker, freeing up lots of copper cable. It should only require a fibre card at each end and will alllow many custers to see 20+Mbs via much improved attenuation figures.

The current DSL upgrade from ADSL/ADSL2+ to VDSL requires new equipment in exchanges, cabinets and peoples homes, anything that can make this process quicker would help more people faster.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 15-Aug-11 16:42:50
Print Post

Re: Upgrading broadband speeds more quickly

[re: SimonWindsor] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by SimonWindsor:
As an alternative to the current FTTC project, or a partial step in this project, is it possible for BT Openreach to 'push' fibre from exchanges to cabinets without the upheavel or massive exchange and cabinet replacements to give people a much better ADSL 2+ experience?

Surely this would be a lotter cheaper and quicker, freeing up lots of copper cable. It should only require a fibre card at each end and will alllow many custers to see 20+Mbs via much improved attenuation figures.

The current DSL upgrade from ADSL/ADSL2+ to VDSL requires new equipment in exchanges, cabinets and peoples homes, anything that can make this process quicker would help more people faster.

How would it free up copper cable?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Mon 15-Aug-11 16:59:35
Print Post

It should only require a fibre card at each end

Really ? I think a DSLAM in the cabinet would be required to sit between the copper loops and the fibre, same as with current FTTC.

Doing ADSL2+ from the street cabs might have some merit, but it doesn't change much other than allowing continued use of existing customer modems / routers.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User SimonWindsor
(learned) Mon 15-Aug-11 18:05:48
Print Post

I am not a telecoms expert, but I assumed a method might exist that would allow the copper cable runs from the exchange to cabinets could be replaced via a fibre cable.

If the technology to do this requires a DSLAM in the cabinet to convert from digital to ATM then I accept the idea will not work.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 15-Aug-11 19:26:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by SimonWindsor:
I am not a telecoms expert, but I assumed a method might exist that would allow the copper cable runs from the exchange to cabinets could be replaced via a fibre cable.

If the technology to do this requires a DSLAM in the cabinet to convert from digital to ATM then I accept the idea will not work.

And then you would also need to modify the exchange to switch a block of audio circuits onto the fibre and then at each cabinet a small voice switch to put them back onto the copper network.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 16-Aug-11 09:19:30
Print Post

Basically you want to move the exchange from 5500 buildings into the 85000 street cabinets...

In time this might happen, i.e. the DSLAM's in street cabs are probably capable of handling voice, but do to LLU in the UK, this would be a regulatory night mare.

You would not save kit/hardware, only recover money from recycled copper. Investment in new hardware would negate this most likely. i.e. most FTTC cabs can only cope with around 50% takeup in an area.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to