General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 19-Aug-11 21:14:21
Print Post

We’ve upgraded our network in your area???

[link to this post]

About 10 days ago I got an e-mail from BT stating:-

Good news. We’ve upgraded our network in your area
Remember we let you know we were rolling out our faster broadband? We’ve now done it in your area. We always offer the fastest speed your line can take and now your broadband speed and connection should be faster and more stable than before.

I'm guessing this refers to an upgrade to ADSL2+ however my router still states G.992.1 Annex A which with a bit of searching tells me that this is still ordinary ADSL. My sync speeds have not changed either (4344 down and 448 up)

Does anyone have any idea if I need to contact BT to take advantage of the ugrade or will this eventually be done automatically.

I am connected to Kirkcaldy/Beveridge exchange.

Any views appreciated.

Chris
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 19-Aug-11 21:28:47
Print Post

Re: We’ve upgraded our network in your area???

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

That exchange certainly now has BT Wholesale, (so BT Retail) ADSL2+. However it has had ADSL2+ for ages from O2/Be, Xilo/uno, vivaciti, ADSL24, Sky and TalkTalk, if not others.

If you are on BT Broadband, which your post implies, then yes, so far as I know you need to request an upgrade. It will probably happen automatically in time, but when I have no idea.

However, at the connection speed you quote, unless you have a problem on the line, (perhaps that you don't know about with your internal wiring), it is unlikely any substantial difference will result. It could even be slightly worse on ADSL2+. Though you would probably double your upload speed.

Edit - part of that isn't very clear, sorry. If there is a problem with your wiring, an upgrade to ADSL2+ will not fix that.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 19-Aug-11 21:30:54)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 19-Aug-11 22:45:13
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply RobertoS,

yes i am with BT and no there's nothing wrong with my internal wiring. I have the filtered faceplate with cat5 cable running to a socket where my hub is plugged in. Unfortunatly I am quite a distance from the exchange with a loss of 52 db. After a bit more searching I can see my download sync rate isn't going to improve on ADSL2+. Looks like I'm gonna have to sell up and move to a fibred area for better broadband smile

Chris

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 19-Aug-11 23:00:31
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

You would probably get slightly better throughput on Be Value, and save a fair bit of money. It would probably be possible with them also to have ADSL2, rather than ADSL2+. That is often marginally the best of the three at that sort of attenuation, as it has better connection algorithms than ADSL, without the sensitive higher frequencies of ADSL2+ causing instabilty.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 20-Aug-11 18:08:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It will likely be years before it happens automatically

I remained on BT BB Classic 2Mb over a year after Max had been introduced as I didn't want to move to Max and if I hadn't moved to BE would likely have remained that way until I asked BT to upgrade me wink

Be* Unlimited
  Print Thread

Jump to