General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User JHo1
(learned) Thu 25-Aug-11 21:28:13
Print Post

Rural broadband - nag your council for FTTC

[link to this post]

After reading in the news about the government making money available for rural broadband projects, I sent a polite email to my local council, linking to the news item on the BBC web site, and asking if they planned to take advantage of it. And they are. They have a project running and I have been invited to "sign up and express an interest". So I have and I've been knocking on neighbours doors to get them to sign up too. But if I hadn't asked I would not have known about this project. So ask! If you don't ask, you don't get.

Good luck,
John
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Fri 26-Aug-11 00:28:00
Print Post

Re: Rural broadband - nag your council for FTTC

[re: JHo1] [link to this post]

That's a good story smile best of luck with getting the money!

Cheers,
Blueacid
=================================
Was on Xilo C&W LLU on MRCEN, Now Be* on MRARD.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 27-Aug-11 14:30:11
Print Post

Mind you much of the urban areas of the UK have not got FTTC yet,
BT seems to keep it a closely gurded secret as to what areas they will roll out to and when.

I would have thought BT should be required to publish a full list of their Exchanges together with whether they have plans to roll out FTTC or FTTH with the year and in some cases an approcximate date such as Q1 2012. THose more thaan say 18 months out could just quote the year as any dates that far out are likely to change.

At least this way people would know if there were plans to roll out FTTC or FTTH to their exchange & would have some indication of the timescales

I suspect BT don't want to do this as they tend to change their schedule when competion moves into an area they dont intend to roll out to for a long time. If they publish full roll out dates it becomes obvious to the regulator that BT are acting in an anti competative mannor

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Ribble
(member) Sat 27-Aug-11 14:36:40
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

FTTx Where and When
Standard User JHo1
(learned) Sat 27-Aug-11 14:50:11
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

I would take ANYTHING that BT says with an extremely large pinch of salt. Samknows showed my local exchange as being upgraded to 21CN in Q4 2009. I even received an email from my ISP asking if I was interested in upgrading, when the time came. Q4 came and went and the only thing that happened was that Samknows reported "n/a" for the 21CN date.

From what I can make out on this forum 21CN is dead (?).

I'm afraid that BT is simply one of those companies that everyone loves to hate. Unfortunately they manage to pull the wool over most people's eyes. Most of my neighbours use them as their ISP and they all report poor broadband whereas mine is rock solid.

Maybe now that their consultancy arm isn't losing a billion each year they will have more money to invest.
Standard User JHo1
(learned) Sat 27-Aug-11 14:53:27
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

Thank R, very useful. I can tell my brother in he's getting FTTC in September. My exchange is on the one day / some day / some-time never list, i.e. none of these frown

Thanks,
John
Standard User anon1
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 27-Aug-11 15:52:24
Print Post

You should be so lucky. About 3 miles from a city centre and our exchange not on any list.
Standard User JHo1
(learned) Sat 27-Aug-11 16:43:03
Print Post

[re: anon1] [link to this post]

It's not unusual (sorry, that's my Tom Jones syndrome flaring up again). BT is a private company so its difficult to lean on them. They'd make money (surely) from investing in such a location, that and many others like it. There has been years of under-investment. It's almost like they still have the 1950s Post Office attitude of "you'll get what you're given and count yourself lucky".

I'd really like to see someone come up with a competitive product and just blow them away, but where is the money going to come from these days?

John
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 27-Aug-11 16:51:49
Print Post

[re: Ribble] [link to this post]

I am aware of that list but it is not a complete list and only shows exchanges being upgraded in the next 18 months odd,

I have not seen a definitive list of ALL the BT exchanges with BT indicating that they are either already Upgraded or wiill be upgraded or they will not be upgraded
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 27-Aug-11 17:09:51
Print Post

Two potential solutions the Fujitsu lead Open Network consortium but to get that off of the ground quickly it needs to get at least 40% of the BDUK funding but given they are handing it out to individual councils that seems unlikely to happen. It is also still dependent on getting access to BTís ducting at a sensible price
My preferred option is for the government to require BT to spin off the local loop into a separate company. It could remain BT owned but would be a totally separate registered company it would have its own directors & P&L.
The advantage of this is it removes the conflict that exists within the BT Group. With a separate company BT would have to lease the local loop on the same basis as any other ISP or teleco
Another requirement the government should impose is that this local loop company cannot proved any end user services otherwise you are back in the conflict of interest scenario
With a separate local loop company the way they make their money is by leasing it out and the more the merrier. The current setup means BT do their best to stifle competition
With the local loop a separate company FTTH becomes far more attractive as they can get multiple companies potentially proving services to a home ie TV, Broadband, Gaming etc
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to