General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 26-Aug-11 13:30:48
Print Post

Held hostage to poor broadband ! (orange, )

[link to this post]

I signed up for Orange b/b in Oct 2010 and was predicted 11mb and was getting 14mb speeds. I moved home in April to a non 21cn exchange and am now getting 5mb and 468 upload.

The connection is extremely unreliable and poor. Having done a BT wholesale exchange check I can see that by exchange is now 21cn WBC enabled, (in the last month) and BT broadband are predicting speed of 11mb, as are Plusnet. Upload is important to me, hence my desire to get on 21cn!

I am incredibly frustrated because each time I call Orange they say "Our system says the maximum speed is 5mb, and there are no plans to improve it". I then explain that the exchange is now upgraded to new technology and I want them to upgrade my connection, but they say they can't. I try to go into the detail but the call centre staff are not really aware of what I am talking about.

I know Orange now outsources their old LLU to BT, so could it be that BT are artificially keeping me(and other Orange users) on old technology until an upgrade is absolutely necessary?

What is anyone's experience in dealing with this kind of issue?

I'm totally stuck because Orange made me renew my bb contract when I moved, and BT will only let me sign up for 18 months ( assuming I can get away from Orange!).
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Aug-11 14:04:24
Print Post

Re: Held hostage to poor broadband ! (orange, )

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

If you were only getting 5 Meg Sync on ADSL Max, you won't get any faster on 21CN ADSL2+, unless there is something wrong with your house wiring that can be improved.

Post your router stats to see if you could benefit from 21CN.

What;s your exchange?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Fri 26-Aug-11 14:07:22)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 26-Aug-11 14:50:48
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Apologies maybe I wasn't clear. I am getting 5mb throughput, but syncing at 8mb and 468. The exchange is "Dawley"

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Aug-11 15:08:10
Print Post

Ah, then why were you getting only 8 Meg Sync on a line capable of 11 Meg? Are you on a legacy "up to 8 meg" package?

If so, Orange may not auto upgrade you to "up to 20 Meg" without you taking out a new contract.

Also, it doesn't make sense that Orange said "Our system says the maximum speed is 5mb", when you are already Syncing at 8 Meg. They should always be quoting Sync speeds, not throughput. Their website says so.

Also, on an 8 Meg Sync, you should be getting 6.6 Meg throughput.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Aug-11 15:50:34
Print Post

Hi, maximum speeds on 8Meg Max are…

Up Stream 448 (Kbps.)
Down Stream 8128 (Kbps.)

What are your router stats?

My 2Wire 2700HGV router stats.

Protocol: G.DMT2+ Annex A
Downstream Rate: 11273 kbps
Upstream Rate: 1152 kbps
Channel: Fast
Current Noise Margin: 8.8 dB (Downstream), 6.4 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 31.4 dB (Downstream), 15.9 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 20.7 dBm (Downstream), 12.3 dBm (Upstream)

Orange WBC 20 Meg. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Fri 26-Aug-11 20:30:58
Print Post

Hi, go to Orange > your account > home broadband > (change your package) and see if you can change your package to 20 Meg 21CN WBC, as you say your exchange has been upgraded. Even if it costs more each month, it would be worth it, as Orange will have to get BT to move you connection from Max to WBC. wink

Orange WBC 20 Meg. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 26-Aug-11 23:57:30
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

See below for my stats:
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 27.8 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 9.3 db 26.0 db

Having gone into orange member centre it looks like I can upgrade to 20mb, only if i take out a new contract with an orange phone line. I cannot take an orange phone line as im locked in a contract with bt! ... The more I think about this the more I feel I have been conned, I signed up last October to 20mb broadband , without an orange phone line. After moving house, orange have put me on an inferior product and are effectively forcing me to enter a new contract in order to restore the same quality of service I was offered previously, surely this is against trading standards and good sales practice.

What's even worse is I spent half an hour today arguing with orange telling me there was no way at al I could get the adsl 2 product ! I am shocked that companies like orange can get away with this appalling behaviour
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Sat 27-Aug-11 11:12:08
Print Post

You are definitely on ADSL Max. You could get 14-15 Meg Sync on ADSL2+.

What does the Member Centre "Change your Package" say what package you are on now and your estimated speed?

You'd best phone Retentions and ask to be put on "Up to 20 Meg" Simply BB.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Sat 27-Aug-11 11:13:28)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sat 27-Aug-11 12:00:49
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yes, member centre says 5mb estimated at the Moment and 7mb on the Up to 20 mb . So I guess if get through to detentions they will do it? Will keep you posted, Thanks for the help
Standard User Wagstaff
(committed) Sat 27-Aug-11 14:16:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Yes, member centre says 5mb estimated at the Moment and 7mb on the Up to 20 mb . So I guess if get through to detentions they will do it? Will keep you posted, Thanks for the help

My ISP (Plusnet) advised me that my exchange was being upgraded, but I had to prompt them to give me the faster speeds - both down and up.

Wagstaff

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel, and a comedy for those who think."
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to