General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User garywood84
(regular) Sat 27-Aug-11 18:57:10
Print Post

BT FTTC - router and faceplate

[link to this post]

I've just seen that my exchange is due to be upgraded to FTTC by the end of September, and been reading more about what's involved in upgrading from ADSL2+.

I see it requires a new faceplate and a BT modem. Re the faceplate, I currently have an ADSL faceplate on my master socket, so that my telephone wiring and broadband are separate (and I don't use microfilters on my extensions). My current router connects to this with an RJ9 connector. Will I still need a new faceplate, or will this be sufficient? (As far as I can tell, all the new BT Infinity plate does is separate the two circuits, as my current setup does).

Re the modem/router - I currently use a Netgear DG834, which has the modem built in. Is it possible to get a modem/router combined like this one for the FTTC service, or would I be forced to have a separate modem?
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Aug-11 19:13:34
Print Post

Re: BT FTTC - router and faceplate

[re: garywood84] [link to this post]

Openreach fit a new face-plate (new, rather than a different type of face-plate).
For the same reason, you can't use the Netgear as the modem (it's not vDSL compatible), so Openreach supply their own vDSL modem for you to use.
If you go with Infinity, BT supply the Home Hub v3, which has a port for connecting into the Openreach modem.
If you go with another provider, you have to supply your own "cable" router (basically one which can take it's internet connection via an Ethernet port, rather than the phone line plugging directly into the router).

There are combined vDSL modems with routers (apparently), but they're reportedly very expensive and you get the OR one and the Home Hub for free (so why not use them).

It's possible (depending on whether you have a Netgear firmware, or a patched one) that you may be able to use the Netgear as a router, but you still need the OR modem.
I've heard of people being able to re-configure regular ADSL modem/routers so they act as a "cable" router and take an Ethernet connection into one of the normal RJ45 ports.
But why faff around doing this, when the Home Hub does it for you?

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

DG834GT with DGTeam firmware

Edited by adebov (Sat 27-Aug-11 20:21:07)

Standard User garywood84
(regular) Sat 27-Aug-11 20:06:53
Print Post

[re: adebov] [link to this post]

Thanks, Ade.
In reply to a post by adebov:
Openreach fit a new face-plate (as the FTTC based system uses vDSL, so needs a different type of face-plate).
In what way is it different, though? Isn't it just an RJ9 connection? I really don't want BT fiddling with my wiring - it took me ages to install decent quality cabling and it made a massive difference to my connection speed on ADSL2+. Moreover, I can't put the router at the master socket, and I don't want a surface wired extension (my current extension wiring is under the floors).
But why faff around doing this, when the Home Hub does it for you?
Because I don't use BT, and even if I did, I wouldn't use a Home Hub. I have a separate access point for wireless, and want to keep it that way, so that I can turn it off when I'm not using it, without turning off my router. Most of my computers have wired connections, so I don't need the wireless on all the time.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 27-Aug-11 20:09:41
Print Post

But haven't you got your existing router at the master socket , or fairly close? That's the way you describe it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Aug-11 20:20:15
Print Post

In reply to a post by garywood84:
In what way is it different, though? Isn't it just an RJ9 connection?

Well it's not different, just new (edited my post as it did read that way) - don't know why - just is.
I'm sure someone will come along if there's a technical reason (rather than a commercial reason) as to why it's changed slightly.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Edited by adebov (Sat 27-Aug-11 20:24:07)

Standard User garywood84
(regular) Sat 27-Aug-11 20:22:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No, sorry - I didn't describe it well enough if that's what you understood!

I have this modified faceplate on the master socket:
http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?productid=16...

From the rear terminals of this faceplate, I have cables running to my extensions. Most of my extensions connect to the phone connections on the rear of the faceplate, which is filtered, so none of the extensions needs a microfilter. One of my extensions connects to the broadband connections on the rear of the faceplate, and my ADSL modem is located on this extension (upstairs).

As far as I can see from information online, the BT faceplate is basically a repalcement for the microfilters on your line, and has an output for ADSL and a standard phone on the front. If that's the case, and the output for ADSL is a standard RJ9 socket, then I think I already have the right wiring setup for FTTC broadband.
Standard User garywood84
(regular) Sat 27-Aug-11 20:23:31
Print Post

Sorry, Ade - our posts crossed.

In what way is it different, though? Isn't it just an RJ9 connection?

Well it's not different, just new.
So I wouldn't need it, then?

Edited by garywood84 (Sat 27-Aug-11 23:02:20)

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Aug-11 20:29:39
Print Post

That's actually a useful face-plate for ADSL (as it allows you to send the ADSL signal, or a filtered voice only signal around the house).
I don't believe there's a technical reason (unless one of the OR guys comes on to correct me) as to why you couldn't keep an existing face-plate (except you probably wouldn't want to send the unfiltered vDSL signal around the house, as it would degrade the signal).

My guess is the main reason OR fit a new face-plate is most ADSL connections (certainly over the last 7 or 8 years) have been home install jobs, so most people only have micro-filters.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Standard User garywood84
(regular) Sat 27-Aug-11 20:40:04
Print Post

...except you probably wouldn't want to send the unfiltered vDSL signal around the house, as it would degrade the signal.
Why? Isn't that what BT would do, if they installed an extension, which they will do as part of the install service, if required?

Edited by garywood84 (Sat 27-Aug-11 20:40:21)

Standard User adebov
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 27-Aug-11 20:51:31
Print Post

...except you probably wouldn't want to send the unfiltered vDSL signal around the house, as it would degrade the signal.
Why? Isn't that what BT would do, if they installed an extension, which they will do as part of the install service, if required?

Well they will send the vDSL signal elsewhere in the house, but your extension wiring would have to be top quality, and you'd still need to understand the speed could be significantly affected (vDSL drops off at a much faster rate than ADSL, so the length of wiring in your home could make a huge difference).
OR will obviously fit this extension for you but the vDSL signal will degrade over the length (whereas an Ethernet connection will not - unless you live in a really big house!).

It really is best to put the OR modem next to the master socket, and extend either the Ethernet (which can go up to 100m fairly easily), or use wireless.

Ade

ADSL2+ with BE
DL Sync around 4.8Mbps
UL Sync 1088kbps

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to