General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jdowning640
(member) Sun 28-Aug-11 03:02:35
Print Post

BT Openreach no pairs available - what next?

[link to this post]

Basically what the problem is:

I have two lines right beside each other. A year ago, I was having problems and used this forum to discuss them. I posted my line stats and I realised that I should be getting around 7Mbps sync as my attenuation is 37.

All my line stats are OK 100%.

The now working line gets around 5Mbps sync with fast path on. I am now using the line which can only get 2Mbps.

After around 10 engineer visits a year ago, I finally got hold of a 'senior engineer' who changed the pair of my telephone line at the pole. This immediately brought my speed up from 1.5Mbps to 7Mbps.

Basically - with this line that is still getting 2Mbps, I'm using it a lot more now and I could really do with the extra few Mbps. I've ruled out all internal wiring issues.

When the senior engineer was here a year ago working on the other line, he said that he had just used the last pure copper pair on the pole available so in order for another line to be switched over, it'd require a new cable from the exchange.

I've had around 6 engineers out including the one I got a year ago (coincidence) and none of them have sorted the problem. The senior engineer said he would contact someone from BT Openreach. He got back to me yesterday and said that he can't send someone out unless he has a job, however I don't want to contact my ISP (ADSL24) and get a callout fee as the engineer doesn't know what the problem is.

Can anyone suggest what I should do?

Thanks a lot.

Jack
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Sun 28-Aug-11 05:38:13
Print Post

Re: BT Openreach no pairs available - what next?

[re: jdowning640] [link to this post]

Technically not a lot you can do. Openreach provide copper (or aluminium) pairs for PSTN to whichever telco/CP according to SIN 349 specifications http://www.btwebworld.com/sinet/349v2p3.pdf

There's nothing in those specifications or a regulatory onus on them to make those pairs suitable to carry xDSL of any kind let alone do any work to improve any such service should it happen to work.

From your re-telling of what the engineer said to you about "pure copper pair", I suspect a lot of the cabling between you and the exchange is aluminium, but he managed to patch your other (better performing line) through selecting copper bundles at each interconnect. If there is/are section(s) of that run that no longer have a copper pair available then you're SOL.

All that said - I didn't think there was much if any aluminium left in the OR access network since they did the copper overlay works some years back. So I may be barking up the wrong tree entirely.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 28-Aug-11 08:04:48
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

I didn't think there was much if any aluminium left in the OR access network since they did the copper overlay works some years back. So I may be barking up the wrong tree entirely.

Rest assured, theres plenty of aluminium left in the ground.

To the OP, I wonder where the lack of pairs is, D-side I'd guess, in which case you are kind of stuffed. What is stopping you using the better performing line to do what you want on the other line ?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(member) Sun 28-Aug-11 23:27:36
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

I use it for VoIP and the quality is awful with such slow speeds. I'm also using it with ordinary browsing for my business and checking emails which makes it worse. There's no way I can get any cable over to the bad line location, physically impossible.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 29-Aug-11 21:32:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by jdowning640:
There's no way I can get any cable over to the bad line location, physically impossible.
That sounds odd when you just said "I have two lines right beside each other".

Another oddity is you said, about the now fast line), "This immediately brought my speed up from 1.5Mbps to 7Mbps" but also "The now working line gets around 5Mbps sync". So - 7Mbps or 5Mbps? If it has dropped then something is once again strange.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
(member) Tue 30-Aug-11 09:40:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Sorry for the confusion. I got a bit mixed up.

I get 7.5Mbps sync roughly and get real speeds of around 5Mbps with fast path enabled.

Thanks
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 30-Aug-11 10:01:00
Print Post

How come you can't swap over connections as well, if the two are next to each other?

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

(member) Tue 30-Aug-11 17:45:52
Print Post

Well there's already loads running off the fast line - around 5 IP phones and a lot of computers running at one time.

They aren't 'exactly' right next to each other - they are running both from the same pole and they are about 10 metres from each other.

Jack
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 30-Aug-11 18:00:59
Print Post

Ah yes, I remember (bits) now. This is the small hotel setup?

Begins to sound as though another line or two will have to be obtained. £30 installation from BT on an 18-month contract I think would be cheapest, then move the rental after that.

I doubt if it is "no pairs available". Just no (nearly) pure copper ones all the way back to the exchange.

(member) Tue 30-Aug-11 18:08:02
Print Post

Yep! Good memory!

The guy the last time there was definitely no pairs available (aluminium/copper).

And I'd like to keep this number - is there no other way of doing it?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to