General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User carrbontwelve
(newbie) Mon 29-Aug-11 10:58:04
Print Post

My Broadband slower than neighbors at same exchange...

[link to this post]

From monitoring my internet connections over the past four years I have noticed an interesting oddity in the speed I am getting at home in relation to that I am getting just four doors down in my office.

At home I get 555Kbps up and 2710Kbps down (20ms ping), while at work, which is literally no more than 50ft down the road away from the exchange I get 857Kbps up and 3926Kbps down (30ms ping).

The oddity is that we are both just over 3 miles from the exchange with the office further, both on 8Mbit packages, but the building that is further away not only has better connection speed but a slightly slower ping.

Not only that but for about four months this year I had an almost solid 5Mbit download speed in the office, while my home line speed didn't increase at all, again same exchange, same package, different providers.

This could be put down to the fact that I have Eclipse Internet at home and BT Business in the office, but that shouldn't mean that one 8MB package suddenly gets a faster connection speed than another provided that they both use the same infrastructure.

I do have to note that in the past two months the speed in the office has dropped back to 3926Kbps, but I do miss that slightly faster connection when there are several of us in the office relying on a speedy network to make money.

Any ideas why this is so?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Mon 29-Aug-11 11:09:12
Print Post

Re: My Broadband slower than neighbors at same exchange...

[re: carrbontwelve] [link to this post]

Only by seeing router stats from both connections. Also which exchange?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User camieabz
(sensei) Mon 29-Aug-11 12:25:34
Print Post

[re: carrbontwelve] [link to this post]

Just curious. You mention 555K and 857K for the home and office uploads respectively, and that they are both 8 Meg. Depending on your upload package, you would sync at 448K and 832K (actual speed ought to be less in both cases), and neither of your upload speeds reflects that kind of setup. Slightly confusing.

I have to echo Xray's comments. We need your router stats, including sync speeds and the exchange please.

~~~~~~~~~~

© Camieabz 2002-2011

All Connection Data

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 29-Aug-11 21:23:46
Print Post

[re: camieabz] [link to this post]

Probably speed test speeds.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to