General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User CID_Boy
(newbie) Mon 05-Sep-11 17:59:48
Print Post

Any ideas what this could be?

[link to this post]

Hi everyone,

Just registered with the site but been a lurker for a while and picked up loads of very useful info, and hopefully posted this in the right place.

I've just recently moved from Essex down to Devon or to put it another way, 16Mb/s to 1.4Mb/s!!! OK, in all fairness, I knew about the connection well in advance of my move so I'm not complaining about that or the line figures.

I've had RouterStats Lite running continuosly more out of curiosity than anything, and for some reason the downstream noise drops by about 3-4db at 15:30 and rise to it's "normal" level at 23:00 every day - screenshot. The fall & rise in SNR has no effect on connection speed or throughput. I have asked Plusnet if they can throw any light on this but to no avail, so I'm asking all you nice people on here if you have any ideas.

Edited by CID_Boy (Mon 05-Sep-11 18:16:08)

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 05-Sep-11 18:02:15
Print Post

Re: Any ideas what this could be?

[re: CID_Boy] [link to this post]

heating switch on?

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Mon 05-Sep-11 18:21:32
Print Post

In reply to a post by CID_Boy:
Hi everyone,

Just registered with the site but been a lurker for a while and picked up loads of very useful info, and hopefully posted this in the right place.

I've just recently moved from Essex down to Devon or to put it another way, 16Mb/s to 1.4Mb/s!!! OK, in all fairness, I knew about the connection well in advance of my move so I'm not complaining about that or the line figures.

I've had RouterStats Lite running continuosly more out of curiosity than anything, and for some reason the downstream noise drops by about 3-4db at 15:30 and rise to it's "normal" level at 23:00 every day - screenshot. The fall & rise in SNR has no effect on connection speed or throughput. I have asked Plusnet if they can throw any light on this but to no avail, so I'm asking all you nice people on here if you have any ideas.
Looks like R.E.I.N But as to the underlying cause/s could be lots of things, But if it is not causing the connection to drop or any other noticeable adverse affects ,then i wouldn't be too worried about it ,

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burakkucat
(member) Mon 05-Sep-11 19:25:02
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Looks like R.E.I.N But as to the underlying cause/s could be lots of things, But if it is not causing the connection to drop or any other noticeable adverse affects ,then i wouldn't be too worried about it ,
No, Anon, that graph does not show any characteristics of REIN -- which would give a regular spiky appearance -- but some other noise event resulting in a drop of SNRM. (Perhaps a SHINE event?)

But, as you have said, if it is not causing a loss of sync or the PPPoA session, then the OP should just accept that it occurs.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 05-Sep-11 19:39:36
Print Post

A local shop on the route of your line - possibly a take-away that only works 5:00 pm to 10:30 pm ?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User CID_Boy
(newbie) Mon 05-Sep-11 19:50:59
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Hmmm, a few ideas...

If it's heating coming on somewhere - it's not ours and not our neigbours either, I've just asked and the reply was "What in this weather?" smile

In reply to a post by burakkucat:
...but some other noise event resulting in a drop of SNRM. (Perhaps a SHINE event?)

But, as you have said, if it is not causing a loss of sync or the PPPoA session, then the OP should just accept that it occurs.

I'm not bothered about it - I'm just curious as what it may be considering it's so regular.

As for a take-away - I wish, would be able to walk to it instead of drive!! Our nearest one is about 3 miles away in Exeter, the opposite way to the TE we're connected to...
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 05-Sep-11 20:01:49
Print Post

Or some other business that works evenings only ?

Can you do a full RSL plot showing Up and Dn Sync and SNRs over a full 24 hour period with 30 second updates? and host the actual image rather than just a part of it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 05-Sep-11 20:06:48
Print Post

Somebody's Sky box? Plasma TV? Local radio ham?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Tue 06-Sep-11 13:09:18
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

If it's Amateur Radio, then 'Top Band' (1.8 to 2.0 MHz) has frequencies within the top of the ADSL2+ spectrum.

All perfectly legal, as the operator is licenced by Ofcom.

Can you see any neighbour with a longish wire antenna up at roof level or higher?

Then, that might be the cause.

If you have overhead telephone cables it could magnify the problem as it could pick up the transmissions.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User CID_Boy
(newbie) Tue 06-Sep-11 15:27:32
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by G3UZF:
If it's Amateur Radio, then 'Top Band' (1.8 to 2.0 MHz)

No need to explain that to me, Adrian - I'm the really local ham (G7SYW - QRZ details are my old qth) and the nearest visible antenna is about 2 miles away smile
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to