General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-11 13:44:42
Print Post

Proof of environmental noise effect on xDSL?

[link to this post]

I've often read and even given out anecdotal comments about xDSL and environmental noise. It always sounded feasible to but I'd never actually seen proof. For the past week I've been part of an SRA trial and my line has been put on Fastpath which has introduced low levels of packet loss. Nothing that seems to interfere with throughput but it has displayed an interesting characteristic on the graph:

My Broadband Ping

There is a clear drop off to nearly nothing between midnight and six AM and the peak is in the evenings. That seems to be proof that even with an underground line environmental noise is a factor. NB:There's usually no-one in our house during the day so unless the budgie is having a knees up without us knowing it must be external noise not internal.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Edited by Andrue (Thu 08-Sep-11 13:44:58)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 08-Sep-11 13:51:59
Print Post

Re: Proof of environmental noise effect on xDSL?

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

But ???

I don't think the BQM is much use for normal noise variations. All yours shows is that latency spikes due to using it disappear midnight-6am, and the packet loss similarly. Not too surprising.

Environmental noise normally increases at night. To monitor that you need to run RouterStats or RouterStats Lite.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-11 16:55:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
But ???

I don't think the BQM is much use for normal noise variations. All yours shows is that latency spikes due to using it disappear midnight-6am, and the packet loss similarly. Not too surprising.
We stop using it at 11pm at the latest and don't touch it again until 5pm. In fact the WAP we use downstairs is powered off midnight to 4pm during the week because we're at work. Only my mail server is operating 24/7.

Unless my budgie has worked out how to power on the WAP and open my laptop.. laugh

The alternative it seems to me is issues on Be's network since the pattern would fit. The problem with that though is why did the packet loss increase immediately after the SRA trial started. You can see it here:

My Broadband Ping

In fact we were on holiday in Dumfries and Galloway until Sunday so the packet loss can't be anything we're doing.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Edited by Andrue (Thu 08-Sep-11 16:59:44)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 08-Sep-11 17:14:41
Print Post

I think really we are saying the same thing about packet loss. That will be mainly within the Be side of things I think and network traffic related. So nothing to do with environmental noise.

The rise in packet loss at 5pm on 1 Sept is when interleaving was turned off, so it looks as though that is the cause. In that instance I would agree and put it down to something between you and the exchange.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Sep-11 17:54:41
Print Post

It's that linx router linx gw1 the thinkbroadband ping is routed through it but the actual packet loss isnt from your connection or thinkbroadband, hence why you see no adverse effects from it, because anything more than 1% can impact data flow
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 08-Sep-11 21:37:50
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think really we are saying the same thing about packet loss. That will be mainly within the Be side of things I think and network traffic related. So nothing to do with environmental noise.

The rise in packet loss at 5pm on 1 Sept is when interleaving was turned off, so it looks as though that is the cause. In that instance I would agree and put it down to something between you and the exchange.
interleaving fixes packet loss, so no interleaving leads to packet loss.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 08-Sep-11 22:48:15
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

An interpreting parrot, wow! tongue smile

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Sep-11 22:51:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by BatBoy:

moo moo dung !!!!!! suggest you go back to school or is it sky?
Standard User nredwood
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 09-Sep-11 22:35:04
Print Post

Yes, with fastpath on there will be more errors which could and does lead to more packet loss

Be* Unlimited
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 09-Sep-11 22:37:30
Print Post

[re: nredwood] [link to this post]

The point is that that's the only function of interleaving, to reduce packet loss.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to