General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Sep-11 14:07:31
Print Post

IPStream +Exchange capacity

[link to this post]

Sorry for possibly being really stupid here, but I have an order in the pipeline with TalkTalk and not all that sure I believe the sales guff.

As my local exchange is only capable of delivering speed of upto 8Mbps, no LLU presence, I have been told by TalkTalk, at a cost of an additional £15 a month (I believe they will use BT Wholesale IPStream I will get upto 14Mbps.

Now, as I say not sure I believe the guy. If the capacity is 7 or 8Mbps how can they give me this increased speed?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-11 14:25:06
Print Post

Re: IPStream +Exchange capacity

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

IPStream only goes up to 8 Meg. You can only get 14 Meg on LLU or BTw 21CN WBC.

Either TT was lying or they are recently LLU'ed at your exchange and it is not yet recorded on SAmKnows.

What is your exchange?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Sep-11 14:34:36
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Cheers XRaySpeX,

exchange is
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/ESMUI

think it likely TT was lying..... frown

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User JNeuhoff
(experienced) Thu 08-Sep-11 15:07:08
Print Post

We had exactly the same experience with Talktalk some months ago, but in our case Talktalk was right. Samknows wasn't updated till some weeks later with the CPW LLU entry. Check out the online checkers with some other resellers of the CPW LLU, suich as Xilo or ADSL24, if these can confirm the estimated 14mbps via LLU, then your exchange was most likely upgraded recently.

J.Neuhoff - MHC Web Design
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 08-Sep-11 15:12:19
Print Post

Following on from XRaySpeX, the TT guy is probably talking guff.

X seems not to have spotted what you said about the extra cost involved in th faster speed. If TT have LLU'ed it and samknows not caught up, there would be nothing extra to pay over their normal low prices.

If the exchange has however recently been upgraded to WBC, (BT Wholesale ADSL2+) then you could perhaps get 14Mbps, but at the extra price I suggest many other ISPs could do the same at a competitive price. If it hasn't, then 8Mbps is the maximum possible, as you say.

More importantly, the TalkTalk non-LLU service has a terrible reputation.

I suggest you put your number into the IDNet checker and see what it offers. I say the IDNet one not as a particular recommendation, though they are good, but because they are one of the few ISPs that have a different range of packages for the BTW "up to" 8Mbps and 24Mbps services, so we get a reasonable indication of whether or not the exchange has been upgraded.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Sep-11 15:22:29
Print Post

[re: JNeuhoff] [link to this post]

Cheers JNeuhoff

Estimates come back from ADSL24

20CN ADSL
Available
6.5 - 8.0 Mb downstream (BT estimate: 7.5 Mb)

Just don't quite get how I can be told I can get upto 14Mbps when the exchange doesn't support it.
Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Sep-11 15:33:51
Print Post

Even if you end up with 4Mb - technically TT have delivered what they said "up to" 14Mb! tongue

I've had a few similar cold call sales chats with BT on my 20CN Market1 Exchange frown

It's possible your situation is different and not just 'sales talk' - you need to ask them to explain more... smile

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Thu 08-Sep-11 16:42:17
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

Thanks for the advice all....

Much appreciated.
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(member) Thu 08-Sep-11 16:52:39
Print Post

[re: JNeuhoff] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by JNeuhoff:
We had exactly the same experience with Talktalk some months ago, but in our case Talktalk was right. Samknows wasn't updated till some weeks later with the CPW LLU entry. Check out the online checkers with some other resellers of the CPW LLU, suich as Xilo or ADSL24, if these can confirm the estimated 14mbps via LLU, then your exchange was most likely upgraded recently.

My exchange was LLU'd by TT last year, it took Sam knows 6wks to update the info,I cant speak for xilo however ADSL24 certainly from last Sunday cant supply me with LLU services.

ps, Titan can, idnet & Xilo cant.

My views are my experiences.

Edited by NilSatisOptimum (Thu 08-Sep-11 17:34:46)

Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(member) Thu 08-Sep-11 17:29:32
Print Post

I clearly remember talking to TT phone sales, weeks before they unbundled, the person I spoke to was very honest and basically advised me not to take their product if my interest was a LLu service, how long is a piece of string with regards waiting for unbundling.

Looking back, the amount of cold calling and being stalked every time I went in to town by their sale field team perhaps that was a clue! Also Sky sales pitched up for months before, whom more or less, days afterwards also unbundled.

My views are my experiences.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to