General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Trojan_Hussar
(regular) Sat 10-Sep-11 23:28:58
Print Post

BT Option 3 - How unlimited is it?

[link to this post]

I was just checking my upgrade options from my existing Entanet ADSL2+ (14Mbps) connection.

I understand BT dropped their fair usage limit of 300Gb on Option 3, but has anyone experienced slowdowns or shaping as a result?

Also Option 3 doesn't seem to offer static IP, in reality having been with other non-static ISPs in the past the IP changes rarely (if ever) anyone have any experience on this. I host a couple of websites and a mail server so it's kind of useful to have static IP.

Regards,
Jason.

Entanet Family 30 ADSL2+
DL Sync: 15320 UL Sync: 848
Line Profile 13000
C&W LLU @ WMEV RFC 31st May 2011 *FINALLY*
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 10-Sep-11 23:49:18
Print Post

Re: BT Option 3 - How unlimited is it?

[re: Trojan_Hussar] [link to this post]

I think BT offer static IPs on "Business" connections only, and that the dynamic ones are very.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 10-Sep-11 23:50:04)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Sun 11-Sep-11 02:00:21
Print Post

Yes, BT Option 3 is now unlimited, no fair usage limit so you can download as much as you want but your download speed still gets capped when downloading from P2P.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(regular) Sun 11-Sep-11 23:55:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
I think BT offer static IPs on "Business" connections only, and that the dynamic ones are very.

Are very dynamic? Surely if the VDSL router never disconnects (a big if) then it should retain the same IP. I could use a dynamic IP service but I've never found them particularly 'elegant'.

P2P traffic is 'managed' during peak periods according to their T&C which isn't a particular problem, after all I have a 30Gb cap at the moment so I probably manage it more harshly than they do.

Regards,
Jason.

Entanet Family 30 ADSL2+
Line Profile 13000
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 12-Sep-11 01:00:19
Print Post

In reply to a post by Trojan_Hussar:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Are very dynamic? Surely if the VDSL router never disconnects (a big if) then it should retain the same IP.
tongue
In that case the answer to "Also Option 3 doesn't seem to offer static IP, in reality having been with other non-static ISPs in the past the IP changes rarely (if ever) anyone have any experience on this" we can conclude must be "No - no-one has any experience on this" smile.

I just stated what has been reported about the BT dynamic IP. By definition, in normal circumstances it won't change if you never disconnect, on any ISP. Many other ISPs' "dynamic IPs" are fairly sticky. BT's isn't. Every time you reconnect you are likely to get a new IP address, that's all smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 12-Sep-11 01:02:14)

(regular) Mon 12-Sep-11 07:48:01
Print Post

I have used DynDNS in the past but only with a desktop client keeping the IP address refreshed which wasn't terribly satisfactory. I'm running IPCop these days and theoretically if the VDSL modem is running in bridged mode this should update the DynDNS routing each time the RED interface on IPCop goes down and up.

Hrmm decisions, decisions, I can either go for BT Infinity and use the DynDNS 'ugly hack' or go for C&W Home on LLU and get pretty much what I get now, but no cap.

BT Infinity (FTTC)
-Pros-
Double my existing DL speed and over 6x my existing UL speed
-Cons-
No static IP
18 month contract

C&W Home (ADSL2+)
-Pros-
Static IP
No cap
-Cons-
No significant speed increase

Hrmmm...

Regards,
Jason.

Entanet Family 30 ADSL2+
Line Profile 13000
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 12-Sep-11 08:49:46
Print Post

If VDSL is the same as ADSL then even if you remain connected but the exchange forces a resync then the IP address will change (on BT).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
(regular) Mon 12-Sep-11 10:38:50
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
If VDSL is the same as ADSL then even if you remain connected but the exchange forces a resync then the IP address will change (on BT).

As long as the VDSL modem passes this information back to my IPcop box it's not a problem.

Regards,
Jason.

Entanet Family 30 ADSL2+
Line Profile 13000
  Print Thread

Jump to