General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Tue 13-Sep-11 10:35:59
Print Post

Roll-Over Contracts

[link to this post]

Ofcom today confirmed that rollover contracts, which tie landline and broadband customers into repeated minimum contract periods unless they opt out, will be banned from December this year.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/arcs/...

The contracts, also known as Automatically Renewable Contracts (ARCs), roll forward to a new minimum contract period with penalties for leaving unless the customer actively opts out of the renewal. The ban will apply to ARCs for landline and broadband services sold to residential and small business customers.

The full news release can be found on the Ofcom website.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Sep-11 11:06:25
Print Post

Re: Roll-Over Contracts

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

<Sigh>. I've been on BT's voice ARC and they send you a reminder letter near the renewal date and make your options very clear. There were also other non-ARC contracts available just not quite as good a deal. It seems to me that all this does is remove an option that CPs had for selling cheaper contracts because a few people couldn't be bothered to read the small print when they signed up or ignored the letters that were sent to them.

Thanks, guys :-/

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 13-Sep-11 11:48:14
Print Post

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

So, contract ends, BT could then stop service because the customer is "out of contract". The customer then needs to call up and agree a new contract ... Can you imagine the furore if BT did that - even though they will be perfectly entitled to do so.

Why should OFCOM effectively penalise BT just because people do not bother to read what they are sent, or remember what they wwere told and fail to act on the reminder letter that arrives a month before. I have two sitting on my desk.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 13-Sep-11 11:55:06
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

didn't they also limit maximum contract lengths, making the "discount in return for commitment" quite hard to do now.

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Are your kids pirates ? Limewire, Bearshare, Kazaa, BitTorrent, eMule are all tools of the trade.
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Sep-11 13:41:18
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
didn't they also limit maximum contract lengths, making the "discount in return for commitment" quite hard to do now.
That's possible. I came off my ARC in Feb. this year. It was no longer the cheapest option.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Sep-11 13:51:28
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
BT could then stop service because the customer is "out of contract".
A common fallacy! You are never "out of contract"; you have just exceeded any minimum term and continue to be under contract indefinitely until either party legitimately terminates it.

@Andrue: Totally agree. This prohibition just panders to the lazy elements of the population, to the detriment of the rest of us getting a good deal by committing for longer.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 13-Sep-11 14:01:14
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

That is my point ... BT can then legitimately stop service on day 366 with no notice whatsoever.

M H C

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Sep-11 14:21:32
Print Post

"Legitimately" is the operative word! They can only terminate under certain specific conditions in accordance with the provisions of the Agreement, like breach, misuse, bankruptcy, cease of phone line, complaint by 3rd party, ... They cannot terminate unilaterally just for the hell of it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 13-Sep-11 14:29:27
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

They certainly can - if you sign an agreement to take service for 12 months BT are agreeing to provide it for the same period and can terminate at the 12 month break point.

How much contractual experience - especially in the field of telecomms, do you have? Probably a lot less than I do.

M H C

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Sep-11 15:20:03
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
They certainly can - if you sign an agreement to take service for 12 months BT are agreeing to provide it for the same period and can terminate at the 12 month break point.

BT are entitled to terminate the customer's service with 28 days notice at any time.

Oliver.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to