General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ZMeshign
(newbie) Tue 13-Sep-11 11:59:16
Print Post

BT slowness (Brighton Marina)

[link to this post]

Hi people,
I live in Brighton Marina (Victory Mews) and I am using BT Business Total Broadband. I will be grateful if someone can help me improve my connection speed... However, here are the things you may need to identify the cause of this problem:

1. I'm using BT and my downstream according to router is 2048 kbps and my upstream is 803 kbps.

2. I'm using a Netgear High Performance router with Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

3. ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2080 kbps 803 kbps
Line Attenuation 53.0 db 31.8 db
Noise Margin 6.5 db 6.3 db

4. My master socket & the test socket beneath it doesn't work at all. I've tried connecting the phone alone to both of them and my phone didn't work at all.

5. What does the BT Wholesale number checker say for your line.
"For Telephone Number xxxxxxxxxxx on Exchange KEMPTOWN

Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 4Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 2.5Mbps and 7Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 6Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 3.5Mbps and 9Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 6Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 3.5Mbps and 9Mbps."
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 13-Sep-11 12:43:52
Print Post

Re: BT slowness (Brighton Marina)

[re: ZMeshign] [link to this post]

What are the FULL stats for the line including the modulation/service type.

And if you reinstall the 2wire2700 and go to: http://192.168.xx.xx/xslt?PAGE=C_5_3 (using your own routers IP address) do a screen capture of the training history and post a link to that.

Then get pictures of the Master faceplate and the wiring inside all of te sockets - again host them somewhere and provide links.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Tue 13-Sep-11 12:55:23
Print Post

Something doesn't add up here...

Where do you connect to your Broadband connection- this must be at the Master Socket or an Extension. If so, I can't see why the phone doesn't work. There are only two wires to connect (or three if you count the redundant Bell wire).

I had an attenuation of 49dB on ADSL2+ and a dismal D/L speed of 1.5Mbps before FTTC arrived.

I've never trusted the BTW checker- it always seens to underestimate speeds, but not in your case.

Think you are getting as good as you can get !

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Sep-11 13:27:59
Print Post

What results do you get from the BT Performance Tester (speeds, throughput, IP profile etc)

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Sep-11 14:06:24
Print Post

Your line should be capable of at least 4 Meg Sync.
In reply to a post by ZMeshign:
4. My master socket & the test socket beneath it doesn't work at all. I've tried connecting the phone alone to both of them and my phone didn't work at all.
Don't understand this! Where do you get your BB signal from? You wouldn't be on "Naked DSL"; BB w/out voice? I thought no one does this.

To get your full stats, try logging into your Netgear router on this link: http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bi... (if it allows it). What is the "Mode:" shown?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 13-Sep-11 18:00:04
Print Post

You got no dial tone - you have a fault. Report it to 151.

The Marina is not that far away from Kemptown Exchange so you will get better when the phone is fixed.

Standard User ZMeshign
(newbie) Tue 13-Sep-11 18:45:12
Print Post

[re: RandomJointer] [link to this post]

Hi guys and thanks for the replies...
@MHC & XRaySpeX, the links you provided doesnt work (MHC's link shows 404 error and XRay's one shows nothing in the ping result box)

@G3UZF, no... this is not the maximum speed of my line. In Virgin's site, I see their speed checker in my place says that they can provide me with 6 - 8 mbps and in BT's it said 4 - 6 mbps.

The master socket should work if I connect the phone alone to it or even with both phone and router (not through the test socket), right?

I have uploaded some images for you guys of my things, each has itself explained by the file title. I have archived them all in 1 .rar file. Just to note, if you see the image of the socket thingy that my filter (phone + broadband) is connected to, you will see that it has 1 other socket beside it. I also have to say that i've tried the right socket once and i've got no dial tone on that but both my phone and broadband are working (except the slowness) on the left socket.

The link to the .rar file that includes all images: http://meshign.ir/bb.rar

Also, my master socket is in the other room beside my computer's room, not near the house entrance door. If you see the master socket image, you'll see that the phone cable comes into the house from there and the socket has a test socket beneath it if I unscrew it (that's how I've identified that it's the master socket in the house)

I've also included an image of my router status + statistics that may help... I couldn't find anywhere else in my router settings page that shows other status of the connection.

And here are the BT speed tester results:
"Download speedachieved during the test was - 1857 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 800-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2315 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 743 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2042 Kbps"

I had so many problems with BT (their messing ups), I had my phone line re-numbered and they still think I've got my broadband and phone line connected on the old number whereas the old number doesn't even exist anymore. Can that be the cause of the slowness or if you don't connect the broadband to the master socket it will cause this much slowness too?

Please tell me if you guys need to know anything else...

Edited by ZMeshign (Tue 13-Sep-11 18:48:36)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 13-Sep-11 20:02:27
Print Post

Did you change the 192.168.xx.xx to your router's IP address?

M H C

Standard User ZMeshign
(newbie) Tue 13-Sep-11 20:03:03
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Yep of course. Otherwise it wouldn't even give me the 404 error (it's the router's 404 error page)
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 13-Sep-11 20:04:34
Print Post

That URL is direct off one of my 2700s except changing the IP ...

M H C

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to