General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User petejigsaw
(newbie) Tue 13-Sep-11 18:28:33
Print Post

Sky Sync Speed Chart

[link to this post]

Hi All

I've just switched to Sky unlimited and am trying to find out what sync speed I should be getting for my line's stats, as what DLM has resulted in me getting is leaving me distinctly underwhelmed.......

I have a connection that's about 700-1000m from the exchange, with d/stream attentuation of 26.5dB and noice margin of 7.8dB. However, I'm being synced at only 15358kbps, which I feel is a good 2000kbps below where my line should be.

My previous connection, on BT 21CN, was syncing at around 18800kbps with the same attentuation, albeit with a lower noise margin target of 6.8dB.

I think Sky's DLM has undercooked my line and the noise margin being a fair bit above the target of 7dB would seem to indicate this.

What do others think, and is there a calculator/chart somewhere that I can use to establish where my attenuation and noise margin should leave my sync speed on a Sky LLU exchange connection?

Many thanks
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 13-Sep-11 19:04:04
Print Post

Re: Sky Sync Speed Chart

[re: petejigsaw] [link to this post]

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Sep-11 08:06:26
Print Post

Have you asked Sky to put you on the gaming profile? It may be that it is the level of interleaving that is reducing your sync speed?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 14-Sep-11 08:54:33
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Thanks Guys

I haven't asked for any special tweaks to the line yet. Sky indicate they can increase the sync further, but want to check all my internal set-up before doing so.

As far as that goes, I have the phone line terminate at the master socket with an ADSL faceplate splitter and straight into the router, so there is nothing that I can do to improve the sync.

Cheers
Standard User greenglide
(member) Wed 14-Sep-11 09:33:35
Print Post

This is exactly the problem that I had and the reason why I left SKY as their product is ********

DLM gave me an underwhelming speed both down and up on a rock solid line but when I completed I got statements like "we have tried giving you an extra 1Mb/s but the line is unstable" and they refuse (or cannot) just let the line negotiate its own rate with a target SNR.

It is designed to minimise calls from customers with unstable lines who do not know what they are doing - ADSL for the inexperienced consumer.

I gave up and went to BE - got an extra 6Mb/s. Job done.

Would never dream of going back to SKY!

Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download

Now with BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload! Never happier!
  Print Thread

Jump to