General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Arpee
(newbie) Wed 14-Sep-11 03:26:10
Print Post

Slow Ethernet Connection

[link to this post]

Hi all. I hope I'm posting in the right forum but if not - apologies. I'm desperate for help! I have a Demon ADSL service connected to a Netgear DM111P modem which is in turn connected to a Linksys E4200 wireless router. My problem is that when I connect the modem directly to the PC using ethernet, I get a reasonable speed of 11MPS (according to the modem status my max is around 14MPS). However, as soon as I attach the router the speed drops to around 2MPS - and the speed is the same whether the connection is wired or wireless. I've switched all cables - no difference. The modem must be ok since on its own it delivers 11MPS, and the PC is OK since I get the same problem when connecting any other pc in the house. I am also pretty sure that the router is fine - I had the same problem with my previous router (apple airport extreme) so I am concluding from this that the hardware is fine but perhaps there is some sort of conflict triggered by my router settings. Numerous re-boots and re-loading of firmware have no effect. Any suggestions?
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 14-Sep-11 04:31:02
Print Post

Re: Slow Ethernet Connection

[re: Arpee] [link to this post]

Can you clarify whether "speed" here means sync speed as reported by modem/router, vs throughput as reported by speedtesters etc? Different problems needing different fixes.
Standard User Arpee
(newbie) Wed 14-Sep-11 08:42:23
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Sorry, in all cases by speed I meant throughput as calculated by the speedtester at www.thinkbroadband.com.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Sep-11 13:07:51
Print Post

In which case now measure the Sync Speeds as reported by the modem/router in the diff. situations.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 14-Sep-11 13:26:47
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In theory that should remain the same, since the same modem is used in all scenarious.

If plugging in a router rather than a PC to the modem changes the sync rate, then looking at power supply issues and noise most likely.

Time to look at settings like WAN configuration of the Ethernet port on the router, try forcing it to run in 100Mbps mode, rather than auto detect.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Arpee
(newbie) Wed 14-Sep-11 13:39:21
Print Post

OK. If I am right in thinking you mean the line rate statistics as per the modem interface, these are:
Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 14167 kbps 1023 kbps
Attainable Line Rate 13936 kbps 1256 kbps
Noise Margin 8.7 dB 12.7 dB
Line Attenuation 31.8 dB 13.5 dB
Output Power 18.3 dB 12.7 dB

..when using modem only, connected via ethernet; and

Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 14135 kbps 1023 kbps
Attainable Line Rate 13940 kbps 1240 kbps
Noise Margin 8.7 dB 12.3 dB
Line Attenuation 31.8 dB 13.0 dB
Output Power 18.4 dB 12.6 dB

when connecting up the router as well, once again only via ethernet.

Apologies if I have misunderstood - and by the way, thanks already for offering help. I've already got a more sensible response from this forum than I got from Linksys support.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Wed 14-Sep-11 13:46:31
Print Post

Puzzling that Line Rate > Attainable Line Rate (on Down only).

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User Arpee
(newbie) Wed 14-Sep-11 13:51:36
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah I thought of that and have tweaked the network adapter either to run in auto mode or at 100MPS full or half duplex. No effect unfortunately. For the record I've also disabled Remote Differential Compression in Windows, just in case that helped. Once again, no change. (And I also checked and updated the network adapter drivers, just in case!)
Standard User Arpee
(newbie) Wed 14-Sep-11 13:53:12
Print Post

Yes I noticed that. Bizarre but it reads that way consistently.
Standard User Arpee
(newbie) Fri 16-Sep-11 12:29:59
Print Post

Well by way of update I have finally given up and re-installed my ancient DSL-G624T D-Link Wireless router (circa 2005). Minimal security, no wireless printing, no dual band and only 802.11g - but a solid 10MPS via ethernet and not that far off via wireless. Progress eh? Thanks anyway for the help from the forum, as I said before it was more useful than anything from Linksys who were only interested in swapping the router for a replacement without checking a single setting on the modem, the router or the network adapter. Onwards and sideways....
  Print Thread

Jump to