General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User lights
(newbie) Fri 16-Sep-11 01:54:25
Print Post

Help! Adding Broadband to a Line issues.

[link to this post]

Hi there, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I have a problem here that is driving me and some of my family mad.

I live in a house that I want to use Broadband in. I don't pay the bills, just rent. I chose O2's "Just Broadband All-Rounder" Pack. O2 can't put broadband on the line as they need a MAC key because someone had broadband on this line before us. We can't get a MAC key as we don't know who the previous occupants of this house were and we cannot contact them or discover what supplier they used. We have a suspicion it may have been BT though.

The house owner has Talk Talk for Landline and calls. O2 says if we cannot find the MAC key our only option is to call Talk Talk and ask for a "Stop Start" to clear the line. Talk Talk don't understand us one jot when we ask for this. They send us to BT, BT sends us back to Talk Talk, Talk Talk pass us from department to department till we feel sick. O2 is stuck, we are stuck.

The homeowner is my Grandmother who is in a nursing home at the moment and has a bad memory. Sometimes speaking to Talk Talk they say we need account holder confirmation to go further. We thought this might be the key and phoned up with my Grandmother present to answer security questions but to no avail, all we learned from this is that resetting the entire account including changing number may help but this is not an option at the moment.

Help! I am starting university at the moment and am having to rely on Mobile Broadband which to a heavy internet user isn't good enough. I may have missed out some information here so just ask if you need more info to help. All advice is welcome! Thanks!

Edited by lights (Fri 16-Sep-11 01:59:39)

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 16-Sep-11 04:07:27
Print Post

Re: Help! Adding Broadband to a Line issues.

[re: lights] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lights:
Hi there, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but I have a problem here that is driving me and some of my family mad.

I live in a house that I want to use Broadband in. I don't pay the bills, just rent. I chose O2's "Just Broadband All-Rounder" Pack. O2 can't put broadband on the line as they need a MAC key because someone had broadband on this line before us. We can't get a MAC key as we don't know who the previous occupants of this house were and we cannot contact them or discover what supplier they used. We have a suspicion it may have been BT though.

The house owner has Talk Talk for Landline and calls. O2 says if we cannot find the MAC key our only option is to call Talk Talk and ask for a "Stop Start" to clear the line. Talk Talk don't understand us one jot when we ask for this. They send us to BT, BT sends us back to Talk Talk, Talk Talk pass us from department to department till we feel sick. O2 is stuck, we are stuck.

The homeowner is my Grandmother who is in a nursing home at the moment and has a bad memory. Sometimes speaking to Talk Talk they say we need account holder confirmation to go further. We thought this might be the key and phoned up with my Grandmother present to answer security questions but to no avail, all we learned from this is that resetting the entire account including changing number may help but this is not an option at the moment.

Help! I am starting university at the moment and am having to rely on Mobile Broadband which to a heavy internet user isn't good enough. I may have missed out some information here so just ask if you need more info to help. All advice is welcome! Thanks!
mmm,???

I live in a house that I want to use Broadband in. I don't pay the bills, just rent. I chose O2's "Just Broadband All-Rounder" Pack. O2 can't put broadband on the line as they need a MAC key because someone had broadband on this line before us.

so far understood

We can't get a MAC key as we don't know who the previous occupants of this house were and we cannot contact them or discover what supplier they used. We have a suspicion it may have been BT though.

ok,,fair point if you where a customer of the said isp and it wasn't full llu (bb & phone)

The house owner has Talk Talk for Landline and calls. O2 says if we cannot find the MAC key our only option is to call Talk Talk and ask for a "Stop Start" to clear the line. Talk Talk don't understand us one jot when we ask for this. They send us to BT, BT sends us back to Talk Talk, Talk Talk pass us from department to department till we feel sick. O2 is stuck, we are stuck. <<?????? does not compute

You say that you think that the previous isp who still is supplying their service or have not placed a cease order on the line is BT,& because of this o2 cannot provide you with a service without a valid mac code,

Then you say that the current provider is Talk talk and that your grandmother is responsible or was a talktalk customer??? which one is correct?? is this a wind up??

If you are renting a property that already has an active bb service on the landline, from the previous occupants, and you wish to change the provider, then if you cannot find out who the provider is then you will have to order a new line with bt or another telecoms provider and then order bb with the isp of your choice after that,

if its your grandmothers old provider then the service will have to be canceled first along with any direct debit she had with them, If talktalk are suppling both phone & bb then the MAC code process does not apply tt will not give you a mac, because the phone( PTSN) will have to be returned to BT or other reseller of bt lines, and once the bt data base that all isp's use has updated you will be able to place an order with o2 or who ever else you choose, this can take anything from several days to weeks sometimes, & can involve re-connection charges (ptsn)
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 16-Sep-11 07:13:55
Print Post

[re: lights] [link to this post]

It looks like there is a TAG on the line, quite simple, but it is the gaining provider who should get the tag cleared for you, so when going to O2, you tell them you don't have broadband at the moment, and they should get the TAG removed to enable them to place a new order.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 16-Sep-11 08:37:31
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

It is possible that the TalkTalk full LLU service may be operating on the line, plug an ADSL modem into the line and see if any ADSL signal.

Cases where people ordered talktalk LLU rental but did not understand they were getting the broadband, e.g. sales person simply said this is cheapest way to get line rental, and at time person was not worried about line rental.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to