General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User techguy
(member) Sat 17-Sep-11 20:18:09
Print Post

merits of twisted pair telephone cable?

[link to this post]

Since work has been done by Openreach I've been seeing better synch speeds but have been seeing quite a few resynchs over the past couple of days (lot of Openreach vans in the vicinity)

IIt did cross my mind however that it could be noise/interference, I've read from various sources that twisted pair phone cable is better than your standard flat RJ-11-RJ-11 stuff supplied with routers.

I note that ADSL nation are selling some but wondered if there is any truth to this before I place an order?

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User Ribble
(member) Sat 17-Sep-11 20:22:06
Print Post

Re: merits of twisted pair telephone cable?

[re: techguy] [link to this post]

From the horses mouth , so to speak

Edited by Ribble (Sat 17-Sep-11 20:23:22)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 17-Sep-11 20:38:52
Print Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User techguy
(member) Sat 17-Sep-11 20:59:10
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks both.

I knew about twisted pair in Ethernet terms but was not sure whether it would make any difference in telephone cable terms.

Its only a short length so not worth bothering.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sat 17-Sep-11 23:59:16
Print Post

It can make a difference - on my old ADSL2+ moving to a twisted pair from flat untwisted gave an increase of around 300-400kbps. It was demonstrable by changing over and seeing immediate differences up or down.

In some locations it may make almost no difference, however it should not make the situation worse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User techguy
(member) Sun 18-Sep-11 17:27:31
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I may take a punt.

Openreach guy that came thoroughly tested the line and said apparently it was completely 'pure' (I wasn't here at the time so am getting it second hand but I assme he meant without interference) so am keen to ensure I minimise any internal interference as the cable runs near my surge protector.

Standard User b4dger
(knowledge is power) Sun 18-Sep-11 17:58:56
Print Post

I may have missed the point here smile but if you compare results when connected directly plugged into your BT Test Socket with your 'normal' connection point then that should tell you what you are after.

My Master Socket is in the loft (?!) so I use a faceplate splitter and a good quality RJ11 down to my study. I've then monitored/compared things from the test socket and from the RJ11 'extension' to make sure I'm happy I'm not picking up any noise/interference.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 18-Sep-11 18:22:10
Print Post

[re: b4dger] [link to this post]

If the modem is in an electrically noisy environment, the 1m lead from either test socket or the front plate, when refitted, to modem may pick up noise. It is the flying lead not fixed wiring the OP is talking about.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 18-Sep-11 19:11:00
Print Post

We bought some shielded belkin version a few years ago for a few metre run to the router. Definitely helped the noise margin out back then. It's also a bit more robust running under the flooring

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
23.5mbit down / 8mbit up
Standard User techguy
(member) Mon 19-Sep-11 12:14:17
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

Yep I have one of the 'soap on a rope' type ADSL Nation filters and am referring to the lead between that and the ADSL WAN port on the router.

Print Thread

Jump to