General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User CLARKEY123
(newbie) Tue 20-Sep-11 20:28:14
Print Post

Assigning a public IP on Thomson TG585

[link to this post]

Hi all,

New to this forum and hoping for some assistance smile

I have been given the task of getting a "dreaded" Thomson TG585 router configured so that a webserver connected to the LAN will be contactable on a public IP. I currently have a /30 subnet assigned to the WAN from the DSL provider giving me two usable IP addresses. I have one assigned to the router and i want the other to be assigned to the web server. Seems quite simple no?

Guess again smile our good friends over at Thomson who made this router have made nigh on impossible to do the most basic things on it so i am looking for a learned person to tell me either by CLI (Command Line Interface) or if it is possbile through the web GUI how i can assign a public IP to the web server and have it so it will respond to ICMP echoes if i ping the WAN IP.

Currently i have used the GUI and it says it has assigned the public IP via the MAC address of the device but when i ping the public IP i get no response. If i ping the router i do get a response on its public IP as i have enable ping responder via CLI already is there another command i have to do to allow a response from the LAN device?

Can anyone help?

Kind regards,

Clarkey123
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 20-Sep-11 20:34:17
Print Post

Re: Assigning a public IP on Thomson TG585

[re: CLARKEY123] [link to this post]

The web server has to be configured to respond to ping.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User CLARKEY123
(newbie) Tue 20-Sep-11 20:37:30
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply but that has already been ruled out of the equation. But keep the suggestions coming they are apprecaited smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 20-Sep-11 20:39:38
Print Post

confused

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Tue 20-Sep-11 20:46:01
Print Post

Disable the router's firewall temporarily and retest. Then re-enable the firewall of course smile

The TG585 usually ships with a deny all inbound traffic ruleset on the firewall. That's still going to be in effect regardless that you assigned a WAN IP to the webserver.

If dropping the firewall does resolve it, then you'll need to look into adding the inbound allow rules for ports 80 and 443 to the webserver IP.
Standard User CLARKEY123
(newbie) Tue 20-Sep-11 20:47:58
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

Hi,

Thank you for the suggestion i shall give it a go when i get back to the office and let you guys know.

Kind regards,

Rich
Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Tue 20-Sep-11 21:07:26
Print Post

Also worth verifying that the webserver is actually being routed to the internet rather than still being NAT'd by the router.

If the server has a browser installed, visit http://whatismyip.org to make sure.

If it is a Linux server with no desktop installed these two commands from the CLI will do the job:

wget -O ./result http://whatismyip.org
cat ./result
Standard User vivaciti
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 20-Sep-11 22:19:07
Print Post

Is there a reason why you are trying to do it this way?
If there is only one web server, then use the routers NAT to forward port 80 (and any other port the web server is configured to answer on) to the Private LAN ip of the web server.
So in effect you would create a rule for port 80 to direct to [webserverip]
so then any browser having the public IP of the router (or DNS if you have done that yet) will be sent to the webserver.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
  Print Thread

Jump to