General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 21-Sep-11 09:35:16
Print Post

Watchdog Slams BT

[link to this post]

The UK Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has upheld two complaints over "misleading" press (newspaper, magazines etc.) adverts for BT Retail's latest superfast 'up to' 40Mbps BT-Infinity service, both of which centred around the services limited availability.

Both of the upheld complaints focused on the service's "limited coverage", which did not appear to have been correctly reflected. In particular the claim that "most of our customers are already seeing at least three times faster speeds" appeared to suggest that the service was widely available, even though it wasn't
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Sep-11 09:53:54
Print Post

Re: Watchdog Slams BT

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Both of the upheld complaints focused on the service's "limited coverage", which did not appear to have been correctly reflected. In particular the claim that "most of our customers are already seeing at least three times faster speeds" appeared to suggest that the service was widely available, even though it wasn't
Hmmm. If that referred to BT's Infinity product then I don't see the problem as stated. Why should a comment about what BT Infinity customers get be taken as a comment about BT Infinity availability?

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Sep-11 10:19:08
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

http://www.asa.org.uk/ASA-action/Adjudications/2011/...

Oddly it is Virgin complaining about BT, i..e think both firms have people who watch the others adverts and complain if the slightest hint of mis-intrepretation is possible.

Not seen the press ad's so cannot comment on how clear or not the font sizes were to see if most people would have noticed clarification parts.

Given up with the tit for tat ASA stuff in our news.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Sep-11 10:40:41
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
http://www.asa.org.uk/ASA-action/Adjudications/2011/...

Oddly it is Virgin complaining about BT, i..e think both firms have people who watch the others adverts and complain if the slightest hint of mis-intrepretation is possible.

Not seen the press ad's so cannot comment on how clear or not the font sizes were to see if most people would have noticed clarification parts.

Given up with the tit for tat ASA stuff in our news.
Yeah, another questionable adjudication in my view.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Sep-11 10:44:43
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

But BT's adverts are everywhere, seen by everyone yet availability is very limited.

It's right that this complaint was upheld.

VM don't advertise as being available everywhere ... unless advertising their national ADSL service. There's a big difference and any way more people can get 50Mbps from VM than can get 40Mbps from BT.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 21-Sep-11 11:11:40
Print Post

[re: 5km] [link to this post]

Are you saying VM have never advertised in the national press, which is where these adverts were?

The availability was covered in the advert, and at no point did BT say available everywhere.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 21-Sep-11 11:14:12
Print Post

VM send their junk mail to me advertising their service, but I cannot get it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 21-Sep-11 11:22:38
Print Post

Based on the way the ASA has upheld point b, I would suggest that the ASA need to understand the English language. The statements on the advert quite clear and BT ensure that they gave the basis of their claim.

I too am getting fed up with VM continually complaining about BTs adverts - it reminds me of the 1990s when Virgin Atlantic was always complaining about BAs tactics.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Sep-11 11:23:13
Print Post

No that's not what I'm saying.

Not exactly but VM cable is only available on cabled streets, that's usually clear. Although to be fair VM's adverts are very misleading as well with them claiming it is Fibre Optic.

I used to get advertising for VM in my letter box, that's stopped now after I called and explained that there is no cable here and I would never take their national ADSL broadband.

Problem is adverts need to be moderated before thay are published as the 'damage' is already done before the complaints are made. BT and anyone else can say whatever they want in an advert until someone complains.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Wed 21-Sep-11 11:48:04
Print Post

In reply to a post by 5km:
Problem is adverts need to be moderated before thay are published as the 'damage' is already done before the complaints are made. BT and anyone else can say whatever they want in an advert until someone complains.
Nah, people just need to understand that adverts are not to be trusted. Of course they exaggerate the good points and of course they gloss over or neglect mention the bad points. Sure we need regulation to stop it getting totally out of hand but the way to deal with adverts is to start from the assumption that they are all lying. Oh and it's worth reading The Space Merchants smile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Space_Merchants

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to