General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Sep-11 15:29:01
Print Post

Samknows and defunct LLU providers

[link to this post]

I know this is probably a question for Samknows, but does anyone know why Samknows still lists various defunct LLU providers on their website?

For example:

AOL - Subsumed into TalkTalk
Orange - Subsumed into BT
Tiscali - Subsumed into TalkTalk

It's a potential problem for visitors to Samknows, who might believe that if Orange is listed for their exchange it would mean that they would be on LLU and not BT Wholesale if they signed up.

Oliver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Sep-11 15:37:07
Print Post

Re: Samknows and defunct LLU providers

[re: Oliver341] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Oliver341:
I don't believe this to be true. AOL may now be owned by TT, but they still offer their own BB; see: http://www.aolbroadband.co.uk/

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User epyon
(member) Tue 27-Sep-11 15:38:31
Print Post

They cba updating or there pretty slow now since being in bed with ofcom.

Also AOL still sells broadband faik.

BE*Unlimited 19004/1317Kbps
My Broadband Speed Test

Edited by epyon (Tue 27-Sep-11 15:39:49)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 27-Sep-11 15:39:26
Print Post

I know this is probably a question for Samknows, but does anyone know why Samknows still lists various defunct LLU providers on their website?

For example:

It's a potential problem for visitors to Samknows, who might believe that if Orange is listed for their exchange it would mean that they would be on LLU and not BT Wholesale if they signed up.

I see your point particularly with orange LLU, and orange should also make it clear on their web pages that they now only provide a resold btwholesale product thus no LLU
Tiscali LLU still is in use via a reseller,and it's a different product to talktalk bb,
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Tue 27-Sep-11 15:48:57
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:

For example:

I see your point particularly with orange LLU, and orange should also make it clear on their web pages that they now only provide a resold btwholesale product thus no LLU
Tiscali LLU still is in use via a reseller,and it's a different product to talktalk bb,
And AOL or talktalk rather Aol
It would seem that although talktalk now owns AOL uk they are still trading under its name, and offering bb only service (smpf) and ip stream with a usage cap of 100gb & throttling
Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Sep-11 15:53:22
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
I don't believe this to be true. AOL may now be owned by TT, but they still offer their own BB; see: http://www.aolbroadband.co.uk/

But as to what network TalkTalk has decided to put AOL users on is anyones guess. Given the paltry 10 GB usage allowance they may well be on BT Wholesale.

Oliver.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Sep-11 16:07:47
Print Post

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
orange should also make it clear on their web pages that they now only provide a resold bt wholesale product thus no LLU
Unlikely! They never claimed any particular platform in their own documentation. They take the view that what method they employ to provide their services is purely up to them and no concern of the consumer.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Sep-11 16:10:12
Print Post

Given the paltry 10 GB usage allowance they may well be on BT Wholesale.
No, AOL is definitely LLU in the exchanges that they support (like here in Reading).

Standard User Oliver341
(knowledge is power) Tue 27-Sep-11 16:14:43
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Unlikely! They never claimed any particular platform in their own documentation. They take the view that what method they employ to provide their services is purely up to them and no concern of the consumer.

Perhaps what is more relevant is the question as to why Samknows lists Orange LLU at all, which is potentially confusing to visitors. As I understand it, Orange have given their LLU network to BT, presumably for absorption into BT's own network.

Oliver.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 28-Sep-11 22:02:14
Print Post

Perhaps what is more relevant is the question as to why Samknows lists Orange LLU at all, which is potentially confusing to visitors. As I understand it, Orange have given their LLU network to BT, presumably for absorption into BT's own network.
This is the important bit.

Several recent enquirers on these forums have mistakenly thought Orange LLU was availabale to them, the latest being on a non-WBC-enabled exchange. So quite important.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to