General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User arsenalfan443
(newbie) Wed 28-Sep-11 15:53:53
Print Post

Previous resident camped on the line, BT no help.

[link to this post]

I just moved into a flat over a month ago. I just moved from the US and I start university for my MA next week. The letting agent said that we needed to set up our own telephone and internet when we moved in. I contacted BT and set up phone and BB with them. They said the activation date would be on the 26th of this month. It's been two days and I still don't have service. I called customer service yesterday and they said it would be set up by the end of the day yesterday. It wasn't working this morning so I called again and they told me that the previous resident had service with another provider and their line is still set up through the 25th of October. BT claims they can't do anything about it until then. I asked if they can contact the other provider and they said they don't know who it is, when they search the number it just comes up as a "non BT number". The letting agent can't get a hold of the previous resident because they believe they have left the country. Is there any way I can find out who the service provider is? I've called BT customer service and always get some call centre attendant who is absolutely clueless and sounds like they're reading off a script. Is there any way I can contact the local service office and actually talk to someone who knows what they are doing? I'm a bit desperate as I start school next week and I need internet access other than tethering to my mobile.

Cheers,

Ryan
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Sep-11 15:57:55
Print Post

Re: Previous resident camped on the line, BT no help.

[re: arsenalfan443] [link to this post]

It is up to who you ordered from to resolve this, and other providers do manage to do it, and so can BT, it is just getting through the layers of clueless script staff to a helpful person.

Have you plugged a phone into the line, does it have dialtone? Also if you plug an ADSL modem does see an ADSL signal?

In the meantime, as a stop gap consider a PAYG mobile broadband dongle, generally better allowance than a mobile phone.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Wed 28-Sep-11 16:07:46
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I have the unlimited PAYG from 3 on my mobile at the moment, but it isn't fast enough for streaming video most of the time or using Skype. I have a phone plugged in and it works, I assume on the line they previous owner still has set up. I also have my router from BT and the ADSL filter, but when I plug it in it says it is unable to connect broadband. I think I can cancel my BT contract any time before they actually activate it, so maybe I can just shop around and see if anyone else can get me set up quicker.

Otherwise I could start making some really long-winded international calls, then maybe the previous resident would feel inclined to terminate the line a bit faster tongue.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User epyon
(member) Wed 28-Sep-11 17:05:26
Print Post

Try here

http://community.bt.com/

you may get somewhere

as the CS is pretty useless.

BE*Unlimited 19004/1317Kbps
My Broadband Speed Test
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Sep-11 18:11:46
Print Post

Unable to connect - where.

I would not expect you to access the Internet, but you might see an ADSL connection to the hardware in the local exchange, but no further.

What happens if you dial 17070 from the line.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Wed 28-Sep-11 18:20:39
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm in Haywards Heath. I'm not sure about where it's connecting to, but I plug it in and start up the router. The power light goes blue, the wireless light goes blue, but the broadband light flashes orange for a few minutes and then turns purple and then red.

I tried calling the 17070 number and it gave me a list of options. I chose to have it read back to me the caller information and it repeated my number back to me, but there was no other information. I'm using a BT Home Hub 3, if that helps.

Thanks for the replies so far,

Ryan
Standard User 12eason
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 28-Sep-11 18:37:23
Print Post

That's a shame. Your exchange has O2 and Sky. You could have avoided BT altogether.

(fountain of knowledge) Wed 28-Sep-11 18:44:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by arsenalfan443:
Otherwise I could start making some really long-winded international calls, then maybe the previous resident would feel inclined to terminate the line a bit faster tongue.

... but they'd not find out for a month, or possibly three depending on their billing cycle with BT!

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Sep-11 18:44:50
Print Post

Hi Ryan, get it through to the “Script Monkeys” it is BT who is responsible for removing the Tag or Marker on the line, according to OFCOM it will take 10 days to remove going through BT Wholesale processes.

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/telecoms/servi...

You can contact BT Wholesale on 0800 169 0934.

http://www.maccode.org.uk/switch-broadband/dealing-w...

Orange WBC 20 Meg. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Wed 28-Sep-11 18:45:07
Print Post

Hello Ryan,

Please read this ofcom website as it gives you the official regulations for your situation and what to do.
http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/telecoms/servi...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to