General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Sw33n3y
(experienced) Thu 29-Sep-11 11:27:59
Print Post

How should I run my line from master socket to router?

[link to this post]

Having recently moved into my new house and being the kind of person who likes to squeeze as much performance and reliability out of things when it comes to technology Iíve hit a hurdle as to which way I should run my ADSL line, Iíll do my best to explain!

The master socket (standard nte5, will be replacing the faceplate with the modified adsl v1.0 nte5) is at the front door facing the stairs. It currently has a phone extension wired into it running up the stairs (as in each individual stair under the edge of the carpet), round the bottom of the skirting into the first room at the top of the stairs, where the previous owner had their router and phones connected etc.

My plan was to use a high grade, twisted and shielded cable ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Hi-Speed-Internet-Mod... ) connected into the master socket and ran straight up along the stair border and top of the skirting into the room and plugged directly into the router*.

However when having a gander as to what other options I have I noticed an ADSL extension kit using cat5 cable ( http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?productid=16... ) would I be better in terms of potential interference issues just using one of these to run from the master socket, up each individual stair and round the skirting etc (how malleable is the cable?) rather than the expensive *belkin cable which wouldnít be long enough to run up each stair (i.e. be visible and provide something nice for the pet cats to have a claw at as well as look ugly).

Any further suggestions or solutions?

Thanks in advance.
Ryan

Edited by Sw33n3y (Thu 29-Sep-11 11:30:24)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Sep-11 11:38:12
Print Post

Re: How should I run my line from master socket to router?

[re: Sw33n3y] [link to this post]

That clarity kit will do what you want and is a better solution, in terms of neatness, ie. ends in a proper socket.
Shielding is not much use, it is the twists in the cable that make the difference.

Cat5 cable is fine for going around corners in a property, just avoid trapping it in door frames.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Sw33n3y
(experienced) Thu 29-Sep-11 11:43:19
Print Post

Re: How should I run my line from master socket to router?

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

That's the answer I was hoping for, thanks Andrew!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to