General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Shehzu
(newbie) Thu 29-Sep-11 14:20:44
Print Post

Speed Issues

[link to this post]

When ordering broadband from orange I was told I would be getting 16 meg due to the 21 cn technology and it was showing up on the BT website.
Since my broadband being activated the speed showing on my router (netgear dgn 1000) has been around 6.8 to 7.2mb download and 1.0 to 1.2 mb upload with a line attenuation of 32db and a noise margin of 6.5-7db. I have used thishttp://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php
and it is showing that i should be getting around 14mb.

I have been on the phone for the last month or so and everytime I have been put through all sorts of tests, the last being to connect my router to the test socket which I have been advised to do by a level 2 engineer who said that if my speed doesn`t increase to around 14mb I should call them back. I did the test and it never improved, I called them back and to my amazement they started telling me that my line can only support 6mb max. My max speed on the Bt Broadband checker has changed as well from the original 16mb to 6mb
Standard User Shehzu
(newbie) Thu 29-Sep-11 14:21:55
Print Post

Re: Speed Issues

[re: Shehzu] [link to this post]

Andrew replied me by email

The attenuation suggests the line can go faster, but the other data you’ve given show no signs that Orange are holding you back, i.e. the issue may simply be noise on your phone wiring.

When using the test socket what are the attenuation, connection speed and noise figures? Also when using the test socket, check that NONE of the phones in the house work.

Speedtest results take some time to improve, thus it is important to get the stats direct from the modem, and if better in time the results will improve.

The Checker updates automatically to reflect what your line is doing, i.e. feedback loop.

The sales estimates are just estimates and until hardware is plugged into a line, anything will be an estimate, or put another way a best guess.

Andrew
Standard User Shehzu
(newbie) Thu 29-Sep-11 14:30:41
Print Post

Thanks for the quick reply Andrew.

Just wanted to also point out that they connected a new line to my house , new bt socket and the engineer changed the line which connects to the street (the black one).

When using the test socket it gave me a speed of 7mb and the line attenuation was 32db but the noise was 7db. I have only one BT socket which I use to connect the the phone and modem too. by other data do you mean the noise Margin? one point worth to consider is that some people in my area are getting over 10mb.As I said the attenuation isn`t that high and the noise isn`t that bad so why am I still getting low speeds?

When talking to an engineer the guy mentioned to me that before Orange used to put people on 14mb straight away but now what they are doing is putting people on a lower speed and increasing it.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Sep-11 14:38:10
Print Post

Sky start with slow speeds and rise.

Orange who is ran by BT Wholesale in broadband terms, start high and go low, by raising target noise margin. The putting people onto 14 Mbps right away is wrong, since for over 90% of people this would mean no connection at all.

Can you post the exact figures, and seeing both the upstream and downstream information at the same time is useful. It is also not unknown for people to post the wrong figures, or even the modem to have them the wrong way around.

Exact figures are important as you can spot common numbers sometimes, and see if its a fixed speed setting that is being used.

Also worth trying a different modem e.g. borrow a friends of a different model.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Shehzu
(newbie) Thu 29-Sep-11 15:04:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Modem Netgear DGN1000
ADSL Firmware Version 3.4.4.0.0.1
Modem Status Connected
DownStream Connection Speed 7224 Kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 1127 Kbps
VPI 0
VCI 38

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7224 Kbps 1127 Kbps
Line Attenuation 32.1 dB 15.1 dB
Noise Margin 7.7 dB 5.8 dB

BT test below
Download speedachieved during the test was - 5875 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2000-7150 Kbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 6373 Kbps
Note: An Upstream test was not conducted on this line due to a technical issue. If your concern is related to upstream performance then please retry
the performance test again in 1 hours time.

thinkbroadband test result
Date 29/09/11 15:02:21
Speed Down 6001.79 Kbps ( 5.9 Mbps )
Speed Up 931.16 Kbps ( 0.9 Mbps )
Port 8095
Server speedtest2.thinkbroadband.com
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Sep-11 15:33:14
Print Post

Okay figures look good, just slow for that attenuation.

No suggestion that the line is being held back artificially speed wise, a possibility is that your modem is only connecting in ADSL mode.

In the routers web interface, there should be a ADSL Settings menu, with a DSL Mode, switch this from Auto to ADSL2+ mode and see what happens. If after a few minutes the modem has not connected then the inference is that you are on the 21CN network, but the ISP/BT Wholesale is limiting you to use the ADSL protocol.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Shehzu
(newbie) Thu 29-Sep-11 15:42:39
Print Post

it is connected and below are the stats from the router

Connection Speed 7864 Kbps 1139 Kbps
Line Attenuation 32.1 dB 15.1 dB
Noise Margin 6.0 dB 5.9 dB

on the page that you said to change the options, it is now as below

Multiplexing Method VC-Based
VPI 0
VCI 38
DSL Mode adsl2+

I am still checking and everywhere I`m putting those figures it is suggesting that I should be getting more. Even the BT Engineer who installed the BT socket said to me that I should be getting very fast speed as it is a new connection but how come it is still the same speed?

On pingtest it says that my line`s quality is A
Ping 12ms
Jitter 3ms
packet loss 0%

Edited by Shehzu (Thu 29-Sep-11 15:47:37)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Sep-11 15:46:04
Print Post

Ok so different speed, so they've not fixed your speed.
Also ADSL2+ made some difference it appears (not 100% sure but may have).

Suggestion then is that your telephone line has more noise on it than others in the area, it is a decent length that would get the speed suggested at signup, but the level of noise locally is not helping.

Now this might be a factor of how the phone line was connected. Always worth finding out what immediate (and I mean next door not a few doors down) are getting stats wise.

Standard User Shehzu
(newbie) Thu 29-Sep-11 16:03:36
Print Post

I live in the corner of a street in a 1 bed house, before(3 months ago) I used to be living across but I know for a fact that line wasn`t perfect. On pingtest it was giving me a result of C and above (please check the above edited post where I have put a ping test result.

What do you mean by how the phone line was connected? When the engineer came, he changed the whole filter and he changed that black wire which connects to the BT pole outside of my house. Any other test you suggest I should do?
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Sep-11 16:32:50
Print Post

In reply to a post by Shehzu:
My max speed on the Bt Broadband checker has changed as well from the original 16mb to 6mb
Yes, the BT Availability Checker only shows what your ISP claims/thinks you line is capable of, not what it actually can do. My estimated speed there and at Orange is only 13 Meg (down from 16 Meg when I was on LLU) but my line is consistently syncing at 18.5 - 19 Meg.
In reply to a post by andrew:
The Checker updates automatically to reflect what your line is doing, i.e. feedback loop.
No, there is no evidence of auto feedback! It somehow reflects what the ISP claims; see above.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to