General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 30-Sep-11 09:14:18
Print Post

Sign Petition for faster rollout of FTTC

[link to this post]

Hi,

Here is a link to the page: Help the UK get faster broadband

Your signature is vital to getting this done, and many thanks in advanced smile Tell your friends and pass the message on via forums etc.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 30-Sep-11 09:17:38
Print Post

Re: Sign Petition for faster rollout of FTTC

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

Sorry I got the link incorrect, here is the right one: Help the UK get faster broadband
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Sep-11 09:23:49
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
Sorry I got the link incorrect, here is the right one: Help the UK get faster broadband
And who pays to accelerate the roll-out?

Hint:One way or another it'll be you and I.

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Sep-11 09:28:03
Print Post

[re: Andrue] [link to this post]

BT does not own any exchanges it leases them.

Also LLU operators are at liberty to install their hardware where they like. To offer ADSL2+ within 3 months is near impossible, unless BT stops all other work, and suppliers probably would struggle to supply hardware.

Current aim from BT/VM is 60% superfast by 2015, with another 30% or so via BDUK funding. Is that not fast enough?

Also legally how do you force a private company to do something?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 30-Sep-11 09:39:51
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Clearly not thought out... Makes no sense.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 30-Sep-11 09:41:33
Print Post

2015 is a very long time to wait, I've rolled out an entire update across my 20 router based network in under 24 hours, with new cables etc and fixing up settings as well.

Imagine each area that Openreach covers has 8 engineers, take away 2 of them for every exchange and let them work in the background for as long as it takes.

That's how ADSL2+ could be deployed within three months, and I'd be happy to pay a broadband tax of £2.50 a month; it already costs £30.00 a month now just to get online.

I'd like the target brought forward from 2015 to 2013, they should allow people to volunteer for no pay to help get it done quicker...
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Fri 30-Sep-11 09:49:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
2015 is a very long time to wait, I've rolled out an entire update across my 20 router based network in under 24 hours, with new cables etc and fixing up settings as well.

Imagine each area that Openreach covers has 8 engineers, take away 2 of them for every exchange and let them work in the background for as long as it takes.

That's how ADSL2+ could be deployed within three months, and I'd be happy to pay a broadband tax of £2.50 a month; it already costs £30.00 a month now just to get online.

I'd like the target brought forward from 2015 to 2013, they should allow people to volunteer for no pay to help get it done quicker...

Isn't that what Volunteers do ?

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 30-Sep-11 09:49:48
Print Post

20 routers? Why so many?

2 at each exchange, do you actually think Openreach has 8,000 engineers trained to install and configure DSLAM's, while at the same time adding the new 21CN WBC fibre backhaul to use the IP network, rather than legacy ATM?

Would this diversion of resources not delay the FTTC/P roll-outs? What happens in the winter when weather creates a surge of line faults?

If you want the 2015 date brought forward, then you should have said that in the petition, rather than mixing market 1, LLU, ADSL2+ all into it, thus creating a confusing mix.

As for volunteers, best joke of the day, untrained people splicing fibre, crimping cables, trying to figure out why something that should work is not working. Fitting the hardware into an exchange, while not disturbing existing phone infrastructure.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 30-Sep-11 10:18:32
Print Post

"20 routers? Why so many?" - I do a lot of media rendering, so I've got a lot of servers which need networking wink

I though all Openreach Engineer's we're trained in that department, might explain why they always fail to fix my broadband then frown as the exchange hardware's been faulty for a long time (over 3 years of connection loss, high latency etc)

I suppose it would, that's why I though of volunteers wink but like you said not everyone has the knowledge of splicing fibre etc like myself :/ I don't why I assumed if I can do then everyone else must be able too... (Can I volunteer)

Should of mentioned bringing the 2015 target forward, I just find it too slow as I've been waiting since 2007 for a connection which works.
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 30-Sep-11 10:22:23
Print Post

Is it your silly petition???
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to