General Discussion
  >> General Broadband Chatter

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Anonymous
(Unregistered)Fri 30-Sep-11 14:39:56
Print Post

How do I get BT to admit they fouled up?

[link to this post]

In early September in my role as a Parish Coincillor looking at broadband in thois community my local BT manager told me they had just replaced a length of cable between the village and the cabinet. Oddly a week earlier I had reported my service to my ISP as my Ofcom monitor showed declining speeds from the 1.92Mb/s I had had over the Summer. Several technician visits later and several IP profile drops to just 135kb/s (I can upload faster than I can download) my ISP is facing a BT brick wall. Each time they get my speed back up and it drops again they send a technician (I got a sync speed of 2.7Mb/s on Tuesday following a visit) and each time the auto profiler says the line is unstable and reverts me to double dial up. I have 2 routers I can interchange, an NTE2000 to isolate the house wiring so it really has to be BT local network. How do you get BT to face up to their inadequacies in a timely fashio?
Standard User Andrue
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Sep-11 14:53:50
Print Post

Re: How do I get BT to admit they fouled up?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Anonymous:
How do you get BT to face up to their inadequacies in a timely fashion?
Well first off it's debatable whether they are inadequate or not. Obviously for you and your neighbours it is but BT are not currently under any obligation to do better than 28kbps on a telephone line. ADSL in the UK is only a 'suck it and see' service and BT can choose to throw in the towel if they want.

But having written that it sounds like your line ought to do better so you need to keep putting polite pressure on your ISP. It might be worth moving your service to someone like Andrews & Arnold who have a close relationship with BT and have been known to put a lot of pressure on them. Unfortunately though as noted above - BT always have the fallback position of 'Sorry, your line can't take it - g'bye'.

Have you tried emailing the CEO?

ian.livingston@bt.com

Andrue Cope
Brackley, UK

Just because he can smile

Edited by Andrue (Fri 30-Sep-11 14:55:24)

Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 30-Sep-11 15:35:46
Print Post

Re: How do I get BT to admit they fouled up?

[re: Anonymous] [link to this post]

What is you voice side of the line like ??
Does the Quiet test come back Ok ?

Might be worth looking at that tack. As another user found. Several Broadband guys could not resolve the issue, but the last one to come got a telephone guy to look at it, as he felt the issue was more phone related than adsl, and they found the fault in a box.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Heven \_0-0_/